On owning a Caravan, CC'ers experience?

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.
OP
OP
Fab Foodie

Fab Foodie

hanging-on in quiet desperation ...
Thanks for the great info...and humour!

@keithmac Yes it's the diesel and we know we're close to the edge weight-wise, but we'll simply put the weight in the car, i.e 2 x S6L Bromptons! We have nobody else to carry and the Dacia Boot is pretty huuge, so we'll keep the van light and the car heavy. The Gin supply will also be in the car Obvs.

Thanks @Phaeton for the info. In terms of 'budget' we're looking at the worst case numbers we've heard. We have found good storage close-by too where we can also use the van at weekends (OK, strange if close-by, but it's in fields in a little valley and could be a million miles away frankly).

@KneesUp once we hit the weight snag and looked further we found that there is a lot of choice in lightweight vans both new and s/h so don't let that put you off. There seems to be choices from basic comforts to all-out 4**** luxury, so you can choose!

@TheDoctor I know the annual costs would buy other holiday types, but speaking selfishly I really don't want to spend my spare time in hotels (I do that for a living) and both of us just enjoy being outdoors, with the fields, birds, warm sun and cool breeze, our own space and time.

NB: NO TV will pass the door!
We're planning to be comfortable, but minimalist. Good info regarding the Porch awnings too :-)

We're going to have another look-around next weekend at some other vans, and see how our thoughts lie....

Keep the good thoughts coming.
Cheers
FF and @Hill Wimp

screenman

Legendary Member
No TV in this van, always a great place to be where ever it is parked.

keithmac

Guru
No TV in ours either!.

Sounds like you've got it all sorted, Gin is a prerequisite for caravanning!.

Our storage is 15mins drive away and we've pitched there as well a few times, as you say it could be 50 miles away when you're there for the night.

Just do it, I wish we had years ago..

Cramped, uncomfortable, no decent fridge/freezer, no proper toilet or shower. Had one for a couple of years ended up parked on a site for a season and used very little. Sold to a mate who had grand ideas but it stayed on his drive for 4 years before he sold it on realising he used it once every blue moon. Have looked at motorhomes as well but same applies. You end up sitting opposite one another touching knees listening to rain on roof. We now own a proper caravan which is basically a home from home at 38'x12' and visit every weekend. True it isn't very mobile but horses for courses.

Drago

Legendary Member
Always been one for camping, from a young age with Cubs & Scouts. Until Mum & Dad bought a white over orange VW bay window camper, followed in 1984 by a brand new VW T4/T25 conversion. Covered most of Europe as it was 30 years ago in that van, with a Conway trailer tent towed behind (family of 5).
In my adult life I resorted to camping, and when SWMBO said no more lilo's I bought a trailer tent, a 1979/80 Conway, exactly the same as M&D had. That got eaten by mice, so replaced with a slightly newer 1981 Conway Canterbury. Always wanted a camper though. So I bought a van, and did some work to it. Sorry for the rubbish pics..
View attachment 348183
View attachment 348184 y

SCA 2 berth pop-top, Movelite inflatable awning. Last year we had no awning so had trailer tent in tow also, hoping to do away with that this year. Apparently the RIB bed is more comfy than the one at home. Can't comment as I've not been allowed to sleep on it yet!

That's very pleasant. If I were that way inclined that's about the sort of size I'd go for, although I wouldn't have a VW on principle. Mrs D said she'd buy me one for my 50th birthday, so not too long to wait.

D

Deleted member 26715

Thanks @Phaeton for the info. In terms of 'budget' we're looking at the worst case numbers we've heard. We have found good storage close-by too where we can also use the van at weekends (OK, strange if close-by, but it's in fields in a little valley and could be a million miles away frankly).
That is the beauty of it, ours is undercover stored so can't go to it, but I keep thinking of moving it to a storage place which is about 2 miles away where I could walk to it with the dog, spend an afternoon & walk back.

screenman

Legendary Member
JeeezzzzusHTittychrist have you seen the prices of some of these wobble boxes? You can have a lot of nights in some nice hotels in any country in the world for less money.

We do hotels as well, I suspect about 25 nights this year and the same in the van.

Top Bottom