On road in Spain. Any advice?

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

GrumpyGregry

Here for rides.
Off, with a road bike and an mtb, to the Liebana Valley in the Eastern Picos in Cantabria Spain next week. Nearest town is Potes. Done a bit of research, and whilst I won't be touring as such I will want to do a couple of longish day rides, say 70 - 100 km on road.

Any pearls of wisdom about riding on road in Spain in general and/or Cantabria in particular?

I've only done it once (Southern Spain though) and found the little mountain roads great and the few drivers you encounter, good too. Numbered roads aren't usually great a bit like some our A roads. Good luck and enjoy :becool:

Edit and the road were much better maintained than the ones up here.

Off, with a road bike and an mtb, to the Liebana Valley in the Eastern Picos in Cantabria Spain next week. Nearest town is Potes. Done a bit of research, and whilst I won't be touring as such I will want to do a couple of longish day rides, say 70 - 100 km on road.

Any pearls of wisdom about riding on road in Spain in general and/or Cantabria in particular?

No pearls of wisdom other than it's bloody fantastic cycling country! Great roads, longish but not too steep climbs, light traffic & considerate drivers, bars doing pinchos......Enjoy!

dragon72

Guru
I rode the Picos in Cantabria and Asturias a couple of Easters ago. Absolutely loved it. Big, big mountains (one pass was 1,610 m.a.s.l. - that's 1 mile high!), steep-sided gorges, secluded lakes, scenic villages, great food.
I went from Santander over to Cangas de Onis and circled back via the back (south side) of the Picos to Potes and then back to Santander, all over three days or so. You'll absolutely love it. Great cycling country.

ColinJ

Puzzle game procrastinator!
It appears so but only outside town and you could probably argue extreme heat if you chose not to wear one.
I went to the Costa Blanca about 5 or 6 times and each time I was told that the law required us to wear helmets outside of towns and cities, but the law was rarely enforced so many riders didn't bother. On one ride, however, a group were stopped by the law and those not wearing helmets got on-the-spot fines.

I went to the Costa Blanca about 5 or 6 times and each time I was told that the law required us to wear helmets outside of towns and cities, but the law was rarely enforced so many riders didn't bother. On one ride, however, a group were stopped by the law and those not wearing helmets got on-the-spot fines.

I've only been to the Costa Blanca once and I never thought about, the lid is there anyhow. :thumbsup:

PaulLittle

I rode the Picos in Cantabria and Asturias a couple of Easters ago. Absolutely loved it. Big, big mountains (one pass was 1,610 m.a.s.l. - that's 1 mile high!), steep-sided gorges, secluded lakes, scenic villages, great food.
I went from Santander over to Cangas de Onis and circled back via the back (south side) of the Picos to Potes and then back to Santander, all over three days or so. You'll absolutely love it. Great cycling country.

That sounds almost exactly what I am considering for next year!
I have been trying to decide whether to go b&b or camping. Obviously b&b is easier/lighter but camping means I can stop (almost) anywhere. I have to say that I am erring on the b&b option ;)

I will travel from Plymouth to Santander and will have about eight days onthe road in Spain. Any hints/tips/info would be much appreciated.

rich p

ridiculous old lush
That sounds almost exactly what I am considering for next year!
I have been trying to decide whether to go b&b or camping. Obviously b&b is easier/lighter but camping means I can stop (almost) anywhere. I have to say that I am erring on the b&b option ;)

I will travel from Plymouth to Santander and will have about eight days onthe road in Spain. Any hints/tips/info would be much appreciated.
On my way back from Portugal this summer, I took the C-628 and CA-280 route over the Cantabrian mountains from Reinosa to Santander. Absolutley beautiful road but a longer climb going from north to south rather than the way I rode.

PaulLittle

On my way back from Portugal this summer, I took the C-628 and CA-280 route over the Cantabrian mountains from Reinosa to Santander. Absolutley beautiful road but a longer climb going from north to south rather than the way I rode.
Interesting! Sounds like the last leg is sorted :thumbsup:

rich p

ridiculous old lush
I stopped in a couple of very decent, cheap campsites in the area which I can recommend if you need them.

chrsfrm

Hi Paul. I am new here. See your from Exeter. I am in Exmouth. Hoping to do Roscoff - Santander, camping, next year, as my first real tour. Could use tips from an experienced tourer.

PaulLittle

Hi @chrsfrm, the trip I am planning for next year will be my first of any description so can't help I'm afraid but I'm sure someone will be along 'drecktly' to help you out. If you fancy some training rides do get in touch...

Top Bottom