On road off road cyclocross commute thoughts

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

bonker

Guru
I'm thinking of mixing the commute up a bit.

I commute on a fixed ( Pearson Now You.....) and have gone on tracks with Schwalbe Marathons on occassions in the past. But wanted to take it a step further to jazz up my journey. However as the weather changes I don't think the Schwalbes will be up to the off road and wondered about cyclocross tyres but I'm a little unsure about xcross tyres on the road.
About 20 years ago I tried xcross tyres on a road bike and scared myself to death riding over some wet leaves on a pavement.

Does anyone do this kind of commute? I'd be glad of thoughts on what modern cyclo cross tyres are likely to be like on a proper, ie outer London commute.

Jason

canal paths or proper off road muddy tracks?

Jimidh

Veteran
I’ve got Surly Knards on my CX as I use it for mostly gravel roads but i do occasionally use it on my commute ( about 6 miles on old Railway track and 8 miles on road).

It’s slower on roads than my roadies especially on the hills but still fast enough for commuting and great for giving me the opportunity to go a few different routes.

Cronorider

I've got two Kenda Happy Medium on the way, 35 mm, which have a file tooth pattern on the main rolling part for speed, and aggressive side knobs for cornering on gravel. Lots of options out there for file tooth tires, Continental, Clement, Challenge, Vittoria, the list goes on

I like Skol

A Minging Manc...
IMO tread is less important than tyre toughness and puncture resistance, but then I do have exceptional bike handling skills! I have been known to MTB in the Pennines on slick 2" tyres.........

Cronorider

The Landcruiser looks like a good choice for a mix of pavement and gravel

MrGrumpy

Huge Member
Yep don’t last long , I run vittoria hyper voyagers not great for punctures. Not sluggish but suicidal on wet corners. Admittedly I run them high pressure for if I didn’t they would puncture even more !! On the look out for something else now with some confidence inspiring grip especially for this time of year!

Last edited:
Top Bottom