On road off road cyclocross commute thoughts

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

BSOh

Über Member
I have just bought a bike with delta cruisers on. They look like road tyres to me but have a little pattern on. Is it a silly idea to use these on gravel paths?

Edit: by gravel paths I mean cycle path which is fairly compact (old railway)

mustang1

Guru
I used continental CX tyres on road for exactly two weeks before I had enough (3 punctures in 2 weeks) and swapped them to road/city schwalbe marathon supreme.

Idk if just had bad luck in those two weeks but I think it was the tyres.

Vantage

Carbon fibre... LMAO!!!
I have just bought a bike with delta cruisers on. They look like road tyres to me but have a little pattern on. Is it a silly idea to use these on gravel paths?

Nope. You'll be fine.
I only use the Landcruisers when it's seriously sloppy.
All other times I'm on Vittoria Voyager Hypers which are pretty much slicks.
20170510_091636.jpg

Even this is doable when wet.
'Cept for that time when I fell off :blush:

BSOh

Über Member
Nope. You'll be fine.
I only use the Landcruisers when it's seriously sloppy.
All other times I'm on Vittoria Voyager Hypers which are pretty much slicks. View attachment 381851
Even this is doable when wet.
'Cept for that time when I fell off :blush:

Thats good to know, thanks! Well apart from the off that is:okay:

I've reached the limit on bike spends for the month (that I can get away with to the OH anyway):laugh:

MrGrumpy

Huge Member
I used continental CX tyres on road for exactly two weeks before I had enough (3 punctures in 2 weeks) and swapped them to road/city schwalbe marathon supreme.

Idk if just had bad luck in those two weeks but I think it was the tyres.
Conti speed ? With the file tread ? Heard they can be rubbish .

vickster

Legendary Member

Just don’t go too fast :smile:

Cronorider

Shall see how the Kenda Happy Medium tires do for durability. They should be arriving in the mail soon. Recommended in one of the cycling mags as a good gravel tire so I'll see how durable on the pavement. Mostly rural around here so not to much glass on the road.

StickyPTFE

I commute on my CX, when I mix up the route / go the long way round, I don't hesitate to take my Marathon Plus tyres on any terrain (canal tow paths, bridleways grass fields e.t.c). Except maybe anything muddy above 10%.

Cronorider

I'm thinking of mixing the commute up a bit.

I commute on a fixed ( Pearson Now You.....) and have gone on tracks with Schwalbe Marathons on occassions in the past. But wanted to take it a step further to jazz up my journey. However as the weather changes I don't think the Schwalbes will be up to the off road and wondered about cyclocross tyres but I'm a little unsure about xcross tyres on the road.
About 20 years ago I tried xcross tyres on a road bike and scared myself to death riding over some wet leaves on a pavement.

Does anyone do this kind of commute? I'd be glad of thoughts on what modern cyclo cross tyres are likely to be like on a proper, ie outer London commute.

Came across this review and thought it is a good option if you are still looking for tires

https://www.cycleanalysis.net/blog/2016/09/clement-xplor-ush-long-term-review/

For anything like this I'd say Panaracer Gravelkings are the way to go - almost a slick tyre but with enormous amounts of grip. I used to run marathon 25s, and you can easily do most towpaths and slightly dry off road on them but they feel sluggish on the road AND seem to deal with punctures pretty well - I've dug huge chunks of glass out of them without any sign of it causing a puncture. I've found the panaracers to be superb on pretty much everything, even surprisingly stable on ice. I've 28s on mine, but only because I'm still on rim brakes, so I'd go as large as possible with your clearances.

Top Bottom