On the never never

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Accy cyclist

Legendary Member
I was very disappointed in 1987 when i applied to the Halifax Building Society for a loan to buy an MG sports car. I'd been a customer for years so i expected the letter they sent back in those days to tell me they'd loan me the £3000. Instead they refused me the loan. A few weeks later the son of the garage owner selling the car took it out for a spin. He had a head on crash in the MG and was killed. I sometimes wonder if i had a lucky escape.

I like Skol

A Minging Manc...
I sometimes wonder if i had a lucky escape.
You could have been stuck with still paying for something that was a write off.......

vickster

Legendary Member
I did have one loan once, can't for the life of me recall what. I've had a few interest free credit cards and 0% finance for kitchen, why pay for something immediately when you don't need to. Prefer to have the cash in the bank

Don't buy stuff that I couldn't afford to buy outright though

perplexed

Guru
Debt free apart from the mortgage - but it's fairly modest. Haven't had a loan for anything for about 20 or so years. I do use a credit card, but it is paid off in full each month so I don't pay any interest. I cost them money...

vernon

Harder than Ronnie Pickering
I was very disappointed in 1987 when i applied to the Halifax Building Society for a loan to buy an MG sports car. I'd been a customer for years so i expected the letter they sent back in those days to tell me they'd loan me the £3000. Instead they refused me the loan. A few weeks later the son of the garage owner selling the car took it out for a spin. He had a head on crash in the MG and was killed. I sometimes wonder if i had a lucky escape.

No luck involved. You'd have had to be doing exactly what the owner's son was doing at the time of the collision.

Modest-sized mortgage for me and no other debts/loans.

I've seen friends from the 80s who are still struggling with their finances, one of whom was so sure that he could turn things around, he spent hundreds of pounds every week on the horses and dogs, convinced his luck would 'change'.

Debt just causes misery and grief.

You have to live within your means.

screenman

Legendary Member
I did have one loan once, can't for the life of me recall what. I've had a few interest free credit cards and 0% finance for kitchen, why pay for something immediately when you don't need to. Prefer to have the cash in the bank

Don't buy stuff that I couldn't afford to buy outright though

I like cash in the bank as well, but as I said earlier I have been lucky to get a discount where 0% had been offered.

Rooster1

I was right about that saddle
Had finance on an oven (£500) and a kids bed (£600). 0% finance over a year. Won't be doing it again though, too many outgoings to track.

I am tempted to buy a top notch bike and pay out £40 a month over say 2 years, but why bother.

I once bought a car and it was better value to finance it at 3% and leave my cash offset against my 5.75% mortgage repayments (when mortgage weren't given away for free!). I could have bought the car for cash but overall I'd have lost out.

vickster

Legendary Member
I like cash in the bank as well, but as I said earlier I have been lucky to get a discount where 0% had been offered.
My kitchen came from wickes with a big discount, the 0% was just a bonus

I've never had an issue tracking payments, just means a lower disposable income or less going to savings. I've never needed it

shouldbeinbed

Rollin' along
The only thing I have on credit outside of the sob story below (feel free to ignore) is my house mortgage. and a small zero % credit card that has given me a Brompton and a slightly better family PC than strictly necessary.

the rest though:

When middle son was very poorly as a young child he spent nearly a year in Alder Hey and has spent a lot of time back there until very recently. My dad was in the process of dying a drawn out cancer death in Newcastle ad my grandma similar in Leicester. From Manchester i was the closest to grandma and dad was her only child so I was it for relatives and supporting her, my mum quite rightly was focussed on him.

We had to set up a whole new base camp over in Liverpool for at least one of us to be with son 2 whist still maintaining home at home for son1 and daughter 3 (and thank god for wife's parents nearby to look after them) and I was driving to Newcastle, Leicester, Liverpool, Manchester from one of the others almost daily. I had no choice in easy credit times but to finance our whole life on credit cards and loans, especially with us taking so much time off work unpaid after leave ran out and other options exhausted.

We were also paying off the proceeds of having been the victim of a significant identity fraud from a family friend who we let rent our old house when daughter 3 was coming along (last bad time to sell - so we rented to someone we felt we could trust and got savagely burned by that trust) we bought a bigger house in need of a lot of work that we could just about afford a mortgage on as well as the first. Trouble followed our trustworthy pal & she got in with a very bad lot who used our junk mail and her knowledge of us to build up a little empire of fake me's. When we finally rumbled them, they quite literally destroyed that house and disappeared, they left it a shell, no doors - even outside (so the cops wouldn't pursue it as there was no proof it was them as access was insecure), no windows intact, smashed through ceilings, roof & floor, gas pipes and electrical fittings ripped through and the water left running through the place, even the TV aerial cable cut through from the upstairs bedroom window and the cooker we left for her smashed to bits. I was forced to sell it for £30K less than I still owed on the mortgage and Deeds of Covenant are not a customer friendly interest rate even if the bank were ok about stretching the term as the medical disasters unfolded around me.

so yeah, well over 10 years later I'm still paying it back, (I could have CVA'd it but that'd have put me in bother at work and long term would probably have hurt us more that grinding through it) We live in a house and area that does not reflect our income, the kids have foregone all sorts of treats and such that our combined wages should have afforded them, holidays-hahah, Both of us do jobs we don't particularly enjoy but pay better than we need (not extortionate sadly, both well under 40% tax) and as we've paid off one card or loan or hacked some off the overdraft then we rejig things to make the rest faster to pay down or find a better rate on something, but thats got harder recently too.

On the upside though and worth more than every penny and every ounce of heartache and breakdown as the medical things all played out to their conclusions - son 2 if fit well, healthy, happy and living a life free of remission worries & all of the reparation and restoration work on him is done.

Last edited:

Electric_Andy

Heavy Metal Fan
wedding ring (0%), mortgage, student loan.

I have a friend who is single and quite the hermit. As soon as he's paid off one large item at ridiculous APR (TV, PS4, Electronic drum machine to name a few) he briefly celebrates and then is looking for his next HP fix.

speccy1

Nothing, don`t agree with it. My only debt is my mortgage but that is unavoidable, and is peanuts compared to the mortgages that people are taking out nowadays, sooner I can get rid, the better

stephec

Legendary Member

Only if you would've driven it in the same way as him.

Edit: I see Vernon's beaten me to it. :smile:

Top Bottom