On the never never

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.
I had fine ants on my picnic once...
ants-food-02.jpg

MarkF

Guru
Had a mortgage once, and a huge overdraft when I had car sites, but never had anything else on tick. I have seen how miserable it can make people, debt can destroy lives.

I agree, I had loan for motorbike when I was 17, I am now 52 and apart from a mortgage that was my last loan.

A lack of loans also gives you freedom. you can tell your boss to stick it, you can move away for a bit, you can try different things, loans anchor you down.

I like Skol

A Minging Manc...
I am a definite 'buy it when you can afford it' type and a bit tight as well so credit is something I avoid. I do like to own things and paying over the odds to buy something using credit just makes other acquisitions less likely so paying the lowest price upfront offers the best value. I have used debt to buy vans when I was self employed but always paid a large deposit and shopped around all credit sources to get an APR in the mid-low single figures. The trick with debt is not what the monthly payments are but how much is the debt going to cost over it's lifetime. If I were to borrow 10k and that would cost perhaps 1k over 3yrs then that would be ok. Some people might look at a different provider that offers lower monthly payments over 5yrs but end up paying 3-4k in interest and that is where you really start to lose out, just giving your hard earned to someone else for doing nothing. It is all about doing the sums.

Soltydog

Legendary Member
Dental work is probably the most unusual I've had credit for :blush: Ended up having to go private a few years back & the bill was going to be around £700, but I noticed that they offered 0% over 12 months, so took the offer up & left money in the savings account to earn a few ££ :okay:

Levo-Lon

Guru
My barclaycard statement says 0.4p in credit..

mortgage if that counts..tho its nothing compared to what the kids pay..
i do keep looking at a new van purchase but i cant do it as the thought of a pcm payment ..nah

screenman

Legendary Member
I have found where ever 0% is offered a discount is often available instead, not in all cases of course but certainly enough to mention.

Top Bottom