On the never never

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

shouldbeinbed

Rollin' along
I was very disappointed in 1987 when i applied to the Halifax Building Society for a loan to buy an MG sports car. I'd been a customer for years so i expected the letter they sent back in those days to tell me they'd loan me the £3000. Instead they refused me the loan. A few weeks later the son of the garage owner selling the car took it out for a spin. He had a head on crash in the MG and was killed. I sometimes wonder if i had a lucky escape.

No you didn't, it doesn't sound like a failure of the vehicle that would have been replicated if you were driving it somewhere else or it would have exploded outside your house.

He was unlucky to be in the wrong place at the wrong time or was driving in a way that contributed to his own demise.

Oldbloke

Guru
The last time I signed a credit agreement, around 2001, for a car, the dealers lost the paperwork and got me to sign a new form some months later.

Seems they lost that too, as no payments were ever taken from my account.

They went bust a few years later, never could fathom out why....

steve50

Disenchanted Member
the only thing i have on the drip is the tv, pay over two years then have the option to trade it in for the latest model or just keep it, under this scheme the tv is fully insured against breakdown and or accidental damage. other than that we don't have any loans or credit cards as I am of the mind if we can't afford it we do without.
i have lost substantial amounts of money in the past through divorce and loss of property,the first wife got the marital home as settlement in the divorce then years later i had a house repossessed after falling on very difficult times, after the building society sold the property at a substantial loss i ended up having to pay the outstanding balance for a property I no longer had or wanted.
I have only ever had two credit cards again in the past and i soon learned it is easy to spend on the card but quite the opposite when it comes to paying it back. My take on it is, if you can afford a credit card and can easily make the repayments you probably didn't need the credit card in the first place.
these days my lovely wife and I live quite comfortably within our means and it is quite reassuring living with the knowledge that we are debt free.

mcshroom

Bionic Subsonic
Anything bought from Ebay, Wiggle or Chain Reaction tends to be on 'pay after delivery' now so I suppose that counts.

Only have the mortgage myself, now my student loan is paid off.

I also have a 0% credit card from my bank which has a balance, and an identical sized savings account with the same bank shadowing it every month so I can pay it off when the 0% ends.

the only thing i have on the drip is the tv, pay over two years then have the option to trade it in for the latest model or just keep it, under this scheme the tv is fully insured against breakdown and or accidental damage. other than that we don't have any loans or credit cards as I am of the mind if we can't afford it we do without.
i have lost substantial amounts of money in the past through divorce and loss of property,the first wife got the marital home as settlement in the divorce then years later i had a house repossessed after falling on very difficult times, after the building society sold the property at a substantial loss i ended up having to pay the outstanding balance for a property I no longer had or wanted.
I have only ever had two credit cards again in the past and i soon learned it is easy to spend on the card but quite the opposite when it comes to paying it back. My take on it is, if you can afford a credit card and can easily make the repayments you probably didn't need the credit card in the first place.
these days my lovely wife and I live quite comfortably within our means and it is quite reassuring living with the knowledge that we are debt free.
I find credit cards very useful. I don;t necessarily keep thousands in my current account as it's not earning so if I want to buy something expensive I can do so without having to transfer funds at that time, I just do so later when the payment is due gaining maximum interest on the cash before it goes out.

TVC

Thr mortgage was the only loan I've had, and that is paid off. I use Visa to protect myself againt fraud but I pay it off in full every month, I must e a really bad cstomer for them.

Smokin Joe

Legendary Member
Thr mortgage was the only loan I've had, and that is paid off. I use Visa to protect myself againt fraud but I pay it off in full every month, I must e a really bad cstomer for them.
The term the credit card companies use is "Deadbeat". I'm happy to be one.

D

Deleted member 1258

I've had two mortgages, both paid of, the only thing current is bedroom furniture, I put it on the credit card then balance transferred it to another card for an interest free period at at the cost of a one off balance transfer payment.

gavroche

Getting old but not past it
I buy stuff from Argos sometimes on "buy now pay in 9 months" . I always pay it back before the 9 months are up so 0% credit and lump sum still in bank.

simon.r

Person
[QUOTE 3992220, member: 259"]They're still making a fair whack in transaction charges from the retailer. What used to be funny was the difficulty in using American Express in America, as their charges were so high loads of retailers stopped accepting them, and in California they used to post up big " Why we don't take AMEX" notes by the cash registers.[/QUOTE]

I try to use Amex as it gives me 1% cash back (which adds up over a year if you put as much of your spending as possible on it), but a significant proportion of places don't accept it.

gbb

Legendary Member
We buy the odd item on finance...we sometimes finance it from our savings and pay ourselves back, interest free of course.
Either way...if you're sensible it shouldnt be a problem...although I can say that quite safely, I could pay my mortgage, car and anything else off tomorrow if I had to.
The car always tends to be paid for on finance TBF. By the time its paid for...I always want a newer one so its kinda self perpetuating. I once told myself as one was paid off...that's it, I'm going to keep it and thats money in the bank every month. I lasted about 2 months before I got the urge again ^_^.
Be sensible...its never got me in trouble in nearly 40 years.

Top Bottom