On the subject of train tickets

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

theclaud

Openly Marxist
Am I the only one who thinks managing to get to your destination on a train without encountering a conductor is a bonus?
Personally I wouldn't go out of my way to buy a ticket, if they come and ask me to buy one I will - obviously - if they don't then I don't seek them out.
Am I a bad person?!

I'd do the same, but it's a very law-abiding forum, and we won't be popular.

Speicher

Vice Admiral
My local train station has no ticket office. As I understand it, when the conductor of the train passes through the carriage I am in, it is my responsibility to make myself known to him/her, and that I want to buy a ticket. I do not think it is acceptable to hope that the conductor does not notice that I have got on the train. He/she probably will have noticed, and made a mental note of the colour of my jacket/coat and will be looking out for the recently-boarded passenger.

At Worcester, if I am intending to travel to Paddington, the queue for tickets could be a long one. It is acceptable to board the train without a ticket, (rather than miss the train) provided, as above, that passengers make themselves known to the conductor.

Sandra6

Veteran
I wouldn't hide from the conductor, if he came by I would make myself known and buy a ticket - but if he/she didn't make it as far as me I wouldn't go and look for him.

vernon

Harder than Ronnie Pickering
Am I the only one who thinks managing to get to your destination on a train without encountering a conductor is a bonus?
Personally I wouldn't go out of my way to buy a ticket, if they come and ask me to buy one I will - obviously - if they don't then I don't seek them out.
Am I a bad person?!

Yes. Fare dodgers contribute to fare rises for the fare paying passengers.

OP
OP
Arch

Arch

Married to Night Train
Am I a bad person?!

Well, it's true, that £25 would be a bonus. But I'm not generally someone who tries to get away with stuff, partly for the reason vernon gives, but also because I'm a lousy liar, and would feel guilty for years.

But if a conductor never passes down the train, as often happens, it's hard to know how to pay up Is it because they can't be bothered?

Going the other way, the train is frequently so crowded that the conductor simply couldn't physically get down the train. In that situation, standing for an hour or more on a train half the size it needs to be, I'd perhaps be less inclined to be honest, except that off course I've always already bought my return ticket on that trip.

alecstilleyedye

nothing in moderation
Am I a bad person?!
i remember, as a youth, the halcyon days of the '80s when british rail decided, in their wisdom, that money could be saved by not having ticket inspectors on the trains or at the stations :whistle:

annedonnelly

Girl from the North Country
Ok done, but I'd welcome thoughts on the original question anyway, in case I find myself needing to make unexpected trips in future when the ticket office is shut...

When I used to travel on Northern Rail from Cramlington (no ticket office) to Newcastle - a twelve minute journey - there were odd times when the conductor didn't make it all the way through the train and so some people couldn't buy a ticket on board. If there were ticket collectors on the platform in Newcastle you bought a ticket from them. If not, you got a free journey.

I'd think you'd be ok.

Top Bottom