On verge of leaving cycle club.

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

AuroraSaab

Veteran
Something as simple as chewing on a piece of gum. When I told a psychiatrist about my use of that he described it as a "distractor"; a coping mechanism which I had inadvertently discovered for myself. But people get a bit funny about someone chewing gum during a funeral service, so I have to be discrete about it!

I think the chewing gum thing is pretty well known. If you've ever had a pet like a rabbit or guinea pig, they only eat when they feel safe. If they hear a noise they stop eating. Chewing gum fools your primitive brain into thinking it is 'safe' and lowers anxiety.

There's also a thing called the tapping technique which can help with anxiety. Lots of YouTube videos on it. Gentle, regular tapping with your fingertips on your face, arms etc. mimics the heartbeat you felt in the womb so it has a comforting effect.

My OH has taken a few online tests that say he is borderline autistic. He isn't, he just likes numbers, Maths, and a load of other stuff that are considered personality traits of people with autism. I wouldn't put much store on online tests tbh.

Simon Baron Cohen has a lot to answer for. His contention that autism is an extreme version of the male brain is quite damaging in my opinion.

Last edited:
43. I too did feel that the questions could be ambiguous. But I tried hard to be objective and honest, so...

This is not really a test as there is no pass/fail or even a right/wrong. It is really to help produce a profile fitting someone's preferences to a spectrum.

I used to administer such profiles to help match applicants to job specifications when I was a recruitment manager. They are at best OK to use the results to help frame questions as part of the selection/diagnostic process but are not accurate enough to make decisions on.

We used to refer to some of the less scientifically robust ones as horoscopes because the outcomes varied by what sort of day the person completing them had had.

Bazzer

Setting the controls for the heart of the sun.
The two different times my daughter has been assessed, (once privately and once through her university), the test is more than these 50 questions. At least an hour by the individual being tested and parents are also spoken to to ask about behaviours, which also lasts at least an hour.
Edit: Quite amusing to see Mrs B's response to certain questions. Her exasperation at having to cope with my daughter who likes the DVDs in order of colour, whereas I prefer them alphabetical. And she doesn't see the point in either.:laugh:

Last edited:

Pale Rider

Legendary Member
I think the chewing gum thing is pretty well known. If you've ever had a pet like a rabbit or guinea pig, they only eat when they feel safe. If they hear a noise they stop eating. Chewing gum fools your primitive brain into thinking it is 'safe' and lowers anxiety.

There's also a thing called the tapping technique which can help with anxiety. Lots of YouTube videos on it. Gentle, regular tapping with your fingertips on your face, arms etc. mimics the heartbeat you felt in the womb so it has a comforting effect.

My OH has taken a few online tests that say he is borderline autistic. He isn't, he just likes numbers, Maths, and a load of other stuff that are considered personality traits of people with autism. I wouldn't put much store on online tests tbh.

Simon Baron Cohen has a lot to answer for. His contention that autism is an extreme version of the male brain is quite damaging in my opinion.

In a similar vein, I recall a psychiatrist examining an interview by Michael Parkinson.

The guest had his legs crossed, and when Parky put him under a bit of pressure you could see the leg in the air moving forwards and backwards.

The trick cyclist said that indicated the discomfiture of the guest who at that point wanted to walk away from the interview.

Top Bottom