On verge of leaving cycle club.

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Bazzer

Setting the controls for the heart of the sun.
One of my daughters has to have reasonable adjustments made as a result of ASD. Mrs B had suspected it for years with me.
Fortunately there are some enlightened employers/managers out there, who may not know why you see or react to the world differently, but recognise that it can be mutually beneficial.

Fab Foodie

hanging-on in quiet desperation ...
Sorry if this is a bit off topic but the thread appears to have evolved towards an aspergers discussion anyway, so....
As I have suspected for a long time, according to this online test for Aspergers, I am upper borderline with a score of 31. I have done several tests and always get a similar result - so it's not just this one. As previously posted, I have 2 nephews who have been diagnosed with Aspergers and it is possibly genetic. I have been previously diagnosed with social anxiety, and there appears to be a link between the two conditions.
At the ripe old age of almost 59 I don't see much point in wasting NHS resources trying to get an "official" diagnosis - what can be done anyway? I have already adjusted my life to suit the social anxiety thing, and I don't consider it to be a disability. Things could be an awful lot worse, and most people I have met (including those from this forum ;)) probably wouldn't notice. The SA only really kicks in at more formal gatherings. I get very uncomfortable at weddings, funerals etc. when I have to sit still in rows with other people. Interviews are a nightmare for me, as were various events in the Police (sitting in classrooms during training, standing in one spot at football matches, public speaking, and the worst of the lot - standing at attention during inspection by senior officers).

The upside is I am perfectly comfortable standing in a pub (as long as it's not too busy) having a pint or two, and riding a bike. So that's about all you need in life, is it not? :smile:
I got 16, which makes me just an average Joe....

Fab Foodie

hanging-on in quiet desperation ...
Do you like computers, communicating by text, intricate mechanisms and getting out in the fresh air on your own? Do you enjoy collecting and analysing data, both biomechanical and technical? Do you have a particular special interest or hobby?

Yes, I see what you mean.
Do you like Pina Coladas and getting caught in the rain?
And the feel of the ocean, and the taste of champagne?

lane

Veteran
Involved in a family discussion about ASD the circumstances of which I won't go into.

I said to my son "You don't worry about things much do you"
He said "No, not really. But that's just because I don't have much to worry about".
Classic.
Don't think he would score very high on an ASD test.

BoldonLad

Not part of the Elite
I got 16, which makes me just an average Joe....

32 here, does that me make me half average or twice average? ;)

Not terribly surprised, I worked in IT, always preferred software to people, although, I did find on retiring, I missed seeing the people, which surprised me greatly. ;)

• Laugh
Reactions: C R
With a basic understanding of AS, you could answer those questions honestly and make it hit whichever end of the spectrum you want, which is possibly what people subconsciously do. Too many of the questions are of the 'it depends' variety for it to be meaningful.

winjim

Smash the cistern
With a basic understanding of AS, you could answer those questions honestly and make it hit whichever end of the spectrum you want, which is possibly what people subconsciously do. Too many of the questions are of the 'it depends' variety for it to be meaningful.
SBC talking bollocks? You don't say.

yello

For me, it's not just 'it depends' with some of those questions (which, I agree, can be answered according to whichever outcome you might desire) but also 'what do you mean by?' That is, I find myself too often wrapped up in a semantic interpretation.

For example, 'you usually' xyz - what do you mean by "usually"? How often is that? Sometimes I do, sometimes I don't. I don't keep score.

Or, what do you mean by "sociable"? I talk to people sometimes willingly, sometimes if I have to but sometimes prefer not to - yet other times can almost witty and, dare I say it, engaging. Which one of those is the one I answer for?

I can't answer honestly because, like most people, I change and can answer 'honestly' a, b, c or d on any given day.

Top Bottom