On your walk today..

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Katherine

Guru
Well it was only a matter of time!
For all the walks you do : between rides, for leisure, for rehab, for exercise, for fitness, with friends and family, on your own, for pleasure, for business or whatever other reason you're off the bike and you want to share.

So, on my walk today, I :
strode along the beach at Marazion with an incoming tide,
collected too many stones that caught my eye that I just had to pick up,
was awed by the speed and jumps of the kite surfers,
savoured the foaming, rolling, crashing waves as they rose up the beach,
watched lots of birds feeding at the water's edge,
got rained and blown on,
felt glad to be alive, I wouldn't want to be on holiday anywhere else!

IMG_20150805_191636.jpg

What about you?

Last edited:

albion

Guru
A standard 13km walk for me today from home on the old Bowes Line.

A walk from towards Mousehole to Marazion for me always ended in a well deserved Philps Pasty.

gbb

Legendary Member
The beach in front of the Riu Garopa is fabulous, warm Atlantic waves crashing in, albeit safely, a lot of fun. A walk for 5 minutes takes you to a huge sand dune, maybe 30 or 40ft high, over that then we found ourselves on a near deserted beach, turquoise waters, white surf, and 1/4 mile or so of wide wide beach with 2, yes 2 couples on it and we were one of them. 3 hours in the 30 degree sun that by the way never leaves you sweating here, playing in the sea, soaking up the rays. A further walk along over volcanic black rocks rounded by probably millions of years, a jet black crab scurried around, a dead fish with a parrot like beak in the sand, quite a few birds like turnstones scurrying to and fro at the edge of the surf , a sea bird spooked up by us, two locals who have a makeshift shelter made of those black rocks fishing...over another 1/2 mile to another...deserted beach.
Then 4 people had the temerity to join us on OUR beach :angry::laugh: (google riu garopa beach, the first photo does it justice)
People just dont want to explore, walk circa 1 mile and you find fabulous beaches with hardly a soul on them.On the way back, two raptor type birds lazily circling over the dunes that slowly become that barren Mars like landscape that Sal island is for the most part, a real mix of endless yellow sand, turquoise seas, white surf...and as the locals say...nooo stress ^_^
Yesterday....a one and a half hour walk the other way to Santa Maria along the beach with the same kind of views, an hour meander round town then a half hour walk back by road.
Gotta walk off some of that excess food and beer :whistle:

Mo1959

Legendary Member
I walk every day as I have a dog. It's also a good way of easing the legs after a cycle. Most days there is something of interest. Mostly been baby animals and birds lately but also followed a beaver up the river the other week. Typically, I never have a camera or even the phone when I do see anything exciting!

coffeejo

Ælfrēd
I walk every day as well, for the needs-must reason as @Mo1959. Luckily I enjoy walking, especially with such a daft companion. (My dog, not Mo.) If all goes to plan, I'll be going up on the Quantocks later with a friend and our dogs. The sun's out but it chucked it down last night so I've got the choice of wet, muddy feet in my usual footwear, or sweaty feet and legs in wellies. Usually see deer, Exmoor/Quantocks ponies and foxes on my walks around here though have also encountered the occasional grass snake, adder, slow worm and (once) a smooth snake.

coffeejo

Ælfrēd
It was still gloomy and grey when we got to the top of the Quantocks so we decided to keep going north to the coast. We parked up in Kilve, followed the coastal path to the west beyond Quantock's Head, before looping back over the fields through East Quantoxhead. The dogs wouldn't stay still long enough for photos but the skies cleared as we walked. Good choice. Cake was consumed at The Chantry Tearooms when we returned to Kilve.

I think I need to invest in a GPS for walking as we got slightly lost when it turns out we weren't where I thought we were on the map. That's the second time in a week... :blush:

Levo-Lon

Guru
I walk every day with the dog..wsh i had that on my doorstep @coffeejo lovely

coffeejo

Ælfrēd
I walk every day with the dog..wsh i had that on my doorstep @coffeejo lovely
Wish it was on my doorstep too. Just up the road. And by "up" I mean "...and over" the hills. I don't drive so it's a treat for The Idiot Dog and I when we're offered a lift somewhere new.

This is our usual walk on the Common and through the woodland.

IDMark2

Dodgy Aerial
I used to walk the dog twice a day as well, sadly he died at Christmas this year and the lack of two daily walks for 4-6k or so soon tells on the waistline. The first time I walked one of my loops around the village without him was a bit of a snivelfest and felt really miserable in the cold and wet of winter, meeting other regulars with their waggy pals was trying as well.
I ended up always carrying my camera bag and binoculars instead, sometimes there's nothing to see and you're not in the mood but at least I can now decide it's really too windy and rainy to go out for myself thank you...
Now Mrs ID has retired we get out to places farther afield, today we 'found' a place called Bucks Mill while we were touring around North Devon. Spectacular drop through a wooded valley down to a beach that was an old lime kiln and quay and typical north coast geology. It wasn't a long walk but getting back up again was at least a 25% ascent!
DSC02078sml.JPG
DSC02071sml.jpg
DSC02082sml.jpg

Top Bottom