On your walk today..

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

tyred

Legendary Member
Funny story for today. It wasn't the best weather for doing this and met just one other nutcase - a Lithuanian girl. Probably the only two people out and about in hundreds of acres of nothing and we managed to walk into each other - what are the odds!

I was walking close to the side of one of the old coastal look out towers and turned the corner around the front of it and she was crouched down trying to light a fag in the wind and we collided.

snorri

Legendary Member
My walking route today is one I have taken around 5 times a year for the past 20 winters. I am a voluntary counter for the BTO (BritishTrust for Ornithology) and have been allocated a stretch of coastline of the Moray Firth and am required to count all of the wading birds and some other species seen, on dates specified by BTO. The walk usually takes about 3 hours and is roughly timed to start at half tide and finish at High Water. I then submit details of my count to a local coordinator by email. Following high winds yesterday, there were some big seas which affected the distribution of the birds along the shore as some roosting places were awash or affected by spray. Species seen today were redshank, turnstone, curlew, shag, oystercatcher and various ducks.
More volunteers are always welcome throughout the UK and volunteers are not called upon to do any other chores like fund raising or campaigning.
A little more detail here https://www.bto.org/volunteer-surveys/webs/taking-part

Last edited:

snorri

Legendary Member
I was walking close to the side of one of the old coastal look out towers and turned the corner around the front of it and she was crouched down trying to light a fag in the wind and we collided.
Yes, and..........?

I thought you had been walking in the Scottish Highlands near me when I first looked at your pics:smile:

tyred

Legendary Member
Yes, and..........?

I thought you had been walking in the Scottish Highlands near me when I first looked at your pics:smile:

We had a chat for a while but no romantic encounters to report :sad:

There are definite similarities but it's the west of Ireland.

mybike

Grumblin at Garmin on the Granny Gear
OK, so I don't live in a spectacular part of the country, but we're dog sitting, and needs must.

Well actually I'd been wanting to get out on a walk for a while, and despite it being a walk I've done many times, we enjoyed it.

Last winter, this path was incredibly wet, with puddles all along it. Now it's much better. It skirts a scout camp, where all seemed quiet, although there were some erected tents. Unusually we met no other dog walkers & Tom enjoyed freedom to smell nearly all the way along.

1.JPG

A short stretch of road and then onto the this huge open field. Sky larks were singing, a bird of prey was seen in the distance, light aircraft and helicopters over flew.

2.JPG
3.JPG

And Tom had a grand old time exploring the harvested field.

4.JPG

However, on a previous occasion Tom's fascination with something chest deep and muddy distracted him enough for him to be missing for an anxious half hour. This time he remained firmly on the lead.

5.JPG

Out the other side of the wood and onto a field so full of stones that it is amazing crops can grow!

6.JPG

Then over another road and onto a third harvested field. About halfway across Tom stopped, pricked up his ears and looked back the way we had come. I looked but could see nothing. A little later some youthful runners appeared at the top of the hill, passed us and took the road I was about to cross. Tom behaved well and mostly ignored them, tho' I did notice one young lady smiling in his direction.

All in all, a pleasant walk for us both, though I did forget my GPS and only switched on the HR half way round.

7.JPG

OP
OP
Katherine

Katherine

Guru
PSX_20181028_130335.jpg
Thread reserection!

As I'm going to be off the bike for a while I'll be doing lots of walks instead.

I won't be able to drive either, so I'll be doing lots of utility walking and bus rides as well.

2 days ago was the first time that I felt up to going out and I needed some flowers to thank a neighbour for doing me a favour. I walked up to the local petrol station and guess what they no longer sell ? - flowers ! So I carried on down the main road to a local co-op on a path that I'm used to cycling on. On the way back I decided to investigate a path on the other side of the fence. What a delightful surprise to find a pretty tree lined pathway.

IMG_20181026_140525584.jpg

Today I walked down to the woods for a lovely Autumn Amble.

IMG_20181028_114518401.jpg

PSX_20181028_132426.jpg

I followed the path parallel with the brook as far as the damn. The tunnel under the motorway had some bright graffiti that I photographed for Booze and Cake - some ducks on the brook below.

PSX_20181028_131724.jpg

I met a colleague from work here. She'll be able to tell everyone at work that my hands are pretty useless still and she saw my left hand in the sling I use to steady it when walking.
The damn was looking lovely in the light and plenty of water birds enjoying some bird seed .

PSX_20181028_130733.jpg

Then I explored a path I'd not taken before that eventually came out back by the motorway and some steps down to the loop line. I've walked and cycled the loop line so many times without knowing where those steps came from!

PSX_20181028_124419.jpg

Having a rest at the bottom, I met a couple who I know from the other cycle club and who are also marshals for the park run that goes that way. So I walked up with them which was nice. They shared reassuring stories of friends who've recovered from similar injuries.

Missing my bike rides but great to get out and about appreciating nature, and good for my wellbeing.

postman

Legendary Member
Well it was only a matter of time!
For all the walks you do : between rides, for leisure, for rehab, for exercise, for fitness, with friends and family, on your own, for pleasure, for business or whatever other reason you're off the bike and you want to share.

So, on my walk today, I :
strode along the beach at Marazion with an incoming tide,
collected too many stones that caught my eye that I just had to pick up,
was awed by the speed and jumps of the kite surfers,
savoured the foaming, rolling, crashing waves as they rose up the beach,
watched lots of birds feeding at the water's edge,
got rained and blown on,
felt glad to be alive, I wouldn't want to be on holiday anywhere else!

View attachment 99044

What about you?

View: https://youtu.be/D2ce7FWOAM8

OP
OP
Katherine

Katherine

Guru

simonali

Guru
Two days before I did the Devon C2C walk back in June we had our dog put to sleep. He had been to both the start and finish points in his lifetime, so I collected a green stone from Wembury beach and a red one from Lynmouth to signify go and stop and when I got back I buried his ashes in the garden and placed the stones there.

IMG_20180723_212747.jpg

We still have another dog, so I go out for a walk far more often than I go for a bike ride and have hundreds of photos I've taken whilst doing so. I'll have a look through them and post some nice ones here later...

stephec

Legendary Member
View attachment 435975 Thread reserection!

As I'm going to be off the bike for a while I'll be doing lots of walks instead.

I won't be able to drive either, so I'll be doing lots of utility walking and bus rides as well.

2 days ago was the first time that I felt up to going out and I needed some flowers to thank a neighbour for doing me a favour. I walked up to the local petrol station and guess what they no longer sell ? - flowers ! So I carried on down the main road to a local co-op on a path that I'm used to cycling on. On the way back I decided to investigate a path on the other side of the fence. What a delightful surprise to find a pretty tree lined pathway.

View attachment 435955

Today I walked down to the woods for a lovely Autumn Amble.

View attachment 435977
View attachment 435978
I followed the path parallel with the brook as far as the damn. The tunnel under the motorway had some bright graffiti that I photographed for Booze and Cake - some ducks on the brook below.

View attachment 435973

I met a colleague from work here. She'll be able to tell everyone at work that my hands are pretty useless still and she saw my left hand in the sling I use to steady it when walking.
The damn was looking lovely in the light and plenty of water birds enjoying some bird seed .

View attachment 435974

Then I explored a path I'd not taken before that eventually came out back by the motorway and some steps down to the loop line. I've walked and cycled the loop line so many times without knowing where those steps came from!

View attachment 435976
Having a rest at the bottom, I met a couple who I know from the other cycle club and who are also marshals for the park run that goes that way. So I walked up with them which was nice. They shared reassuring stories of friends who've recovered from similar injuries.

Missing my bike rides but great to get out and about appreciating nature, and good for my wellbeing.
That looks like WW. :smile:

Top Bottom