Oncoming cyclist - pass which side

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.
A firm, even extravagant hand signal has two purposes

Firstly it's a statement of the path you intend to take

Secondly it is a physical barrier for the other person to pass on that side

gbb

Legendary Member
One thing I do is claim left early, as soon as I see an oncoming cyclist...that way I put, hopefully, the onus on him to stay on or move to the right.

MisterStan

Label Required
Veer left. In the event of an oncoming vehicle the convention is that everything from speedboats, racing cars and aircraft should veer left, and that is what most peoples brains will try to do. Hence driving on the left making us less likely to have head on smacks than our continental cousins.

However, does oncoming Johnny Spottiebum understand the convention?

Glad we have you to explain that to us.

Do be a dear and tell the international maritime community, as they have got it into they fluffly little heads to make rule for passing on-coming vessels "port-to-port" (basically keep right).

OP, I'd stick to the left of the path in the UK, NZ, Japan, Australia etc, and use my words to tell them to do the same. If an oncoming bicycle is on my left, I would assume that they are not concentrating and moving right might be just the thing to wake them up and remind them to move left. <CRASH>

Actually, aircraft flying under VFR should do the same as the maritime lot and turn to the right, while aircraft with TCAS will either climb or descend, not turn.

Pat "5mph"

A kilogrammicaly challenged woman
A firm, even extravagant hand signal has two purposes

Firstly it's a statement of the path you intend to take

Secondly it is a physical barrier for the other person to pass on that side
Ha!
You would think so, but I get folks accelerate, pass me to turn right almost crashing into my extended arm ... that is signaling right!
Humph!

al78

Guru
IA high proportion of bike users either don't drive or don't equate cycling with driving (mind you, in my experience there is a good proportion of car users that are little more than pedestrians on 4 wheels for all intents and purposes!).

A high proportion of people have bugger all spatial awareness, and can't see anything more that three meters away. Such as when I was driving to North Holmwood, turning right from the A24 at the Dorking roundabout, a couple of cyclists were moving onto the road from the pavement, and the rear one wobbled and fell off in front of me, meaning I had to stop. A prat behind me then hooted his/her horn at me whilst the cyclist was in the road in front of me, as though I'm expected to just drive over them (no space to go around them).

I tend to keep left, as this is consistent with vehicular usage in the UK. If someone heading towards me insists on maintaining a collision course I stop, and let them decide what to do. If they crash into me it is their own silly fault.

Katherine

Guru
One thing I do is claim left early, as soon as I see an oncoming cyclist...that way I put, hopefully, the onus on him to stay on or move to the right.

That's what I do too. I will stop if necessary and make them move to the left. If someone comes round a corner on the wrong side, I say, " keep left please" .

SteveF

You need the appropriate kit....
6999473065_1f48a3e26b_b.jpg

I usually go left if I spot the oncoming other cyclist first on a cycle path. But I won't intentionally go out of my way to coerce them in to passing on the 'correct' side if we are telepathically lining up right to right and there is plenty of space to do so.

Same with pedestrians who are walking on the 'cycle' side of a share use path with markings. I'm not going to bother forcing them over to the correct side if it's going to slow me down in the process.

If you are talking about cyclists overtaking from behind you, then I would say it is polite to stick to the left side if you are cycling slow enough to anticipate being overtaken by faster cyclists. I'm not going to wait for you to notice me coming up behind you if I've decided that you are predictable enough and there is enough space to 'undertake' on the left.

Failing that, stick all the way to the right and make it obvious that you are doing so. But whatever you do, don't hog the middle of the path or weave unpredictably. And do do a shoulder check before overtaking other cyclists or pedestrians or switching sides.

rogerzilla

Legendary Member
I get this a lot on psyclepaths, which are dangerous because there are no rules. Also, many cyclists ride on them with their heads up their arses, staring a foot in front of their front wheel or texting.

If you shout, "Keep left", you just get a torrent of abuse around here. I had a head-on collision a few years ago when a girl looked up as I rang my bell, then swerved straight into me. No serious bodily damage, but a few bits ripped off the bikes.

The road has a much lower risk of collision but those collisions are more likely to be lethal. You pays your money etc.

DaveReading

Don't suffer fools gladly (must try harder!)
I had a head-on collision a few years ago when a girl looked up as I rang my bell, then swerved straight into me. No serious bodily damage, but a few bits ripped off the bikes.

Been there, done that, tore my t-shirt. I'd probably have have been OK if I hadn't rung my bell. As it was, I was out of action for a month with bruised/cracked ribs. She (a runner) escaped with a grazed knee.

As a result, I always assume when on a shared path that peds will do something completely unpredictable at the last possible moment.

snorri

Legendary Member
Veer left. In the event of an oncoming vehicle the convention is that everything from speedboats, racing cars and aircraft should veer left,
Warning! This message has come from the Department of False Information, following the advice could greatly increase risk of collision, injury and death.

Edit jefmcg has already pointed this out, but when such reckless "advice" is given, there's no harm in repeating the warning!

Last edited:
Top Bottom