One Bike Only

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.
Something like this;

IMG_2406-800x533.jpg

Kinesis Tripster ATR with Lauf forks.

Would be run with Sram Etap Eagle(if/when it comes out:whistle:),Hope calipers and discs,Hope CX crankset(again if/when it's out),Genetic stem and Drove bars,Hope carbon seatpost with either a Fabric or Brooks carbon Cambium saddle.

Plus two sets of wheels;

Current Halo Vapour 29er superdrive wheels with Schwalbe G-One speed for road/light gravel use.

Halo Vapour 650b rims on Hope hubs with something like Schwalbe Dirty Dan's on.

Tim Hall

@Elybazza61 : Those forks look horrid (IMHO). Just because you can, doesn't mean you should. (Goes off to google what they're all about).

Newman8

IMG_0133 (Edited).JPG

Can't imagine having enough spare cash or space for more than one bike?!?

This ticks most boxes for me: It's done everything from sportives to commuting. It's pretty light and quick, but it's also comfy on a long day out and feels pretty strong over pot holes and cattle grids...

Stick on a seatpost pack and handlebar bag and you've got a light tourer, but put some clip-on aero bars on and you've got a TT bike... 28mm tyres and you can cover most terrain - I do the odd farm track or gravel path on a 23mm front / 25mm rear. The gear range is wide enough to cover the 20+% hills you can't avoid around here. And it's made of old stuff and new stuff - it sort of evolves slowly over time...

avecReynolds531

Veteran
Thanks for an interesting thread with some lovely bikes & a lot of good ideas & thoughts. For the people who don't have space, can't afford expensive, or use a bicycle for their primary transport, then the idea of one bike & what it means, or can do, is different to N + 1 dreams.

I've ridden a late 1990s Taiwanese step-through (designed for 700c): the main tubes were butted cro-mo, the rest high tensile. Though this was lowly in the manufacturer's catalogue, it had the most planted handling - something about the geometry is absolutely spot on. The clearances were almost as MTB generous - with nicely shaped and indented chainstays. It had braze ons for mudguards & both front & rear racks.

This frame made a beginner rider (1st ever bicycle) confident and love both cycling & this particular bike: to the extent of commuting through a major city with cut throat traffic & extended touring - including forest trails.

You can't buy that profound, positive influence or such a strong attachment. With that in mind, I'll happily take the same versatile, well designed frame with the magical geometry. 7/8 speed Acera derailleurs & one of Spa's Stronglight variant triple chainsets, running on Mavic A319s. For some reason, the V brakes fitted had phenomenal power too.

As Steve Worland summarised in a Surly Straggler review: 'Wonderfully versatile all-rounder that can hit the trails, the streets or the long-haul open road; it might be the only bike you need, except for all the others.'

Last edited:

Gunk

Guru
I can’t imagine just having one bike, but if I had to just manage with one then I would keep my Brompton. It can do a bit of everything, not necessarily brilliantly, but it is super versatile and puts a smile on your face!

Last edited:
One bike only? :eek: I've bought 4 bikes in the last year alone! :laugh:

2019 KTM Kapoho e-MTB
2019 KTM Scarp Sonic MTB
2019 Wilier Zero.6 Sram Red eTap
2020 Trek Madone SLR 6

I prefer road cycling but from those...I'd pick my 29er Scarp Sonic. It's the most versatile - lots of very rocky, technical areas, single track and trails here in what is MTB-Heaven.

Top Bottom