One brake lever for front and back brakes...

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Asa Post

Super Iconic Legend
There's only L and not-L. Leeds is in non-L.
Leicester? Luton? Llanfairpwllgwyngyllgogerychwyrndrobwllllantysiliogogogoch?
There's a spelling mistake in @0-markymark-0 's post.
He meant Hell and not-Hell.

Dual cable brake levers work great on pairs of wheels (trikes) but not so well on bicycles. Because, as has been mentioned, they become very difficult to modulate. There's also the issue of pulling two brakes via one actual lever with tiny fingers. It's just too physically hard to do. Kids bike brakes being shite very often need both hands to operate at the best of time. And... Illegal, bikes need two separate brakes. What we often do is simply relocate one brake lever so that it sits under the other. Stepped so that the lever can be operated by separate fingers. But again, this requires strong fingers of the kind rarely found on five year olds. Coasters work perfectly well for most of the world's population, but for some reason they're rare in the UK. I blame Raleigh and Sturmey. They're strong, reliable and easy (once learned..) to operate. They can even be supplied with gears. SRAM still make the excellent and bomb-proof 3 spd Torpedo. And Shi**no make an equivalent. These can be built into any size wheel - but will require a frame with a matching OLND and horizontal drop-outs. Which all means that it's probably easier to buy a bike which comes equipped with a coaster from the factory. Even if that means having it shipped in from Holland or Germany. Check out some of the euro style kid's bikes from the likes of Puky and Gazelle. Unfortunately the importers usually don't bring in coaster equipped bikes. Because Brits don't know what they are. If you can make it to York I have loads of bikes with coasters she could try.

The other thing is, she'll need some work done to the handlebar.

You could call me if you like. Link in my sig. Ask for Mick.

Last edited:

young Ed

Veteran
The back pedalling hub brake may be an option, I've never had one of those myself. Does it lock the wheel in to a skid or just slow it down?
should just slow it down but when i was a bit younger out in Sweden (i am half Swedish and go out to visit nan and grandad every summer) where all bikes are rear wheel braking only by means of a back pedal drum brake i used to spend hours fettling the brakes to make them overly powerful and then go flying down loose gravel hills at break neck speeds (or so it felt!) and at the bottom stamp back on the pedal and kick the rear end out... oh how cool i was! haha

but unless your a you idiot lad who was brought up in the workshop they just slow you down smoothly like any normal rim brake used carefully :smile:
Cheers Ed

winjim

Smash the cistern
I used to have a BMX with a back-pedal brake. That thing was made for power sliding round the woods. I mean you could stop it sensibly but where's the fun in that?

winjim

Smash the cistern
Oh yeah, OP? Listen to Mickle.

GrumpyGregry

Here for rides.
should just slow it down but when i was a bit younger out in Sweden (i am half Swedish and go out to visit nan and grandad every summer) where all bikes are rear wheel braking only by means of a back pedal drum brake i used to spend hours fettling the brakes to make them overly powerful and then go flying down loose gravel hills at break neck speeds (or so it felt!) and at the bottom stamp back on the pedal and kick the rear end out... oh how cool i was! haha

but unless your a you idiot lad who was brought up in the workshop they just slow you down smoothly like any normal rim brake used carefully :smile:
Cheers Ed

Your roots explain your love of sit up and beggary and coastastic brake-age.

But, imo/ime, when an adult cyclist brought up on rim brakes first encounters coasters they spend several seconds on each ride learning to deal with the heart stopping WTF-ery of locking up the rear wheel when "coasting". And the consequences of a bunny-hop can be disastrous and spectacular in equal measure.

I'm no help.
The main reason I went to trike was that I couldn't work out an easy way to modulate two brakes off one lever.
On a dry straight road most of the braking force can/will be from the front brake.
On a wet twisty road then most of the braking will with the back brake to keep it safe.
On a trike, it doesn't matter if you skid a wheel due to over braking, you don't fall off.
Once your on a trike then the lower you are, the faster you can go around a corner without tipping up. Hence going to the dark side.

Listen to Mickle.

By far the greatest number of coaster hubs are 1 speeds. A few are three (notably the venerable and bombproof Sachs (now SRAM) Torpedo. A very fewer are 5 or seven - and SRAM threatened to make a nine a few years ago but I'm not certain that it ever materialized. All are internal hub geared - with all the usual problems of putting wheels in and out. I've long had vague notions about the possibility of a pedal back brake on a derailleur equipped bike. But how? it couldn't use the chain to activate it - as soon as the lower run of chain came under tension it would pull the rear mech forwards, creating dangerous slack in the top run. And that's as far as I got with it.

Recently I discovered coaster brake mechanisms from two different manufs which can be used with derailleur gears. Both use a miniature freewheel in reverse mounted on the bottom bracket axle. When the pedals (or 'handles' of a handcycle) are turned backwards the mini freewhel engages and drives a mechanism. One drives a cable which activates a v-brake or cable disc, the other uses an actual Shi**no hydraulic brake lever and drives a hydraulic disc. Fantastic things both. And both mucho expensive.

classic33

Leg End Member
By far the greatest number of coaster hubs are 1 speeds. A few are three (notably the venerable and bombproof Sachs (now SRAM) Torpedo. A very fewer are 5 or seven - and SRAM threatened to make a nine a few years ago but I'm not certain that it ever materialized. All are internal hub geared - with all the usual problems of putting wheels in and out. I've long had vague notions about the possibility of a pedal back brake on a derailleur equipped bike. But how? it couldn't use the chain to activate it - as soon as the lower run of chain came under tension it would pull the rear mech forwards, creating dangerous slack in the top run. And that's as far as I got with it.

Recently I discovered coaster brake mechanisms from two different manufs which can be used with derailleur gears. Both use a miniature freewheel in reverse mounted on the bottom bracket axle. When the pedals (or 'handles' of a handcycle) are turned backwards the mini freewhel engages and drives a mechanism. One drives a cable which activates a v-brake or cable disc, the other uses an actual Shi**no hydraulic brake lever and drives a hydraulic disc. Fantastic things both. And both mucho expensive.
This one?
sram 9-speed.jpeg

Top Bottom