One For Classic Car Fans.....

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Jenkins

Legendary Member
I think there must have been some form of breakdown festival in the Milton Keynes area this weekend - the contents of my hotel car park included an MG Montego, a Morris Ital campervan and an Austin Landcrab.

CanucksTraveller

Macho Business Donkey Wrestler
Not a true "classic" by any means but an unusual sight these days, I remember these coming out in the 80s. The 4x4 Fiat Panda! Spotted in Lisbon today.
20210928_191352.jpg

Profpointy

Legendary Member
I test drove a 750. It didn't have a brake servo :ohmy:

Trip to the laundry required...

A car like that doesn't really need a servo. My '68 Cortina didn't have one and a good stomp on the pedal would lock the wheels up on a dry road if required, and that's on much better tyres than it came with from the factory. You can't brake any harder after all. Also I recall my driving instructor had replaced his car (maybe Chevette?) with a newer model whilst I was learning to drive - stood the new on on its nose first outing as the new one had a servo. Anyhow, servo'd brakes don't stop any quicker but you don't have to press as hard

Bonefish Blues

Banging donk
A car like that doesn't really need a servo. My '68 Cortina didn't have one and a good stomp on the pedal would lock the wheels up on a dry road if required, and that's on much better tyres than it came with from the factory. You can't brake any harder after all. Also I recall my driving instructor had replaced his car (maybe Chevette?) with a newer model whilst I was learning to drive - stood the new on on its nose first outing as the new one had a servo. Anyhow, servo'd brakes don't stop any quicker but you don't have to press as hard
I agree - the point was that I was a relatively new driver and I didn't know they were unservoed, so I braked as usual and little to nothing happened, meanwhile the car was sailing towards a junction.

Profpointy

Legendary Member
I agree - the point was that I was a relatively new driver and I didn't know they were unservoed, so I braked as usual and little to nothing happened, meanwhile the car was sailing towards a junction.

I guess you had the opposite, and more worrying, surprise I had !

As an aside, my first experience with air brakes was a bit of a shock. Hired a 7.5 tonner to move some stuff, since, being old, my licence covers such vehicles - presumably our test was a lot stricter :-). I pressed the brakes and there was no resistance at all but there was at least a half second delay, so you press down further, then the brakes jam on hard. You had to learn to decide if you wanted slight braking, medium or full-on, then press the pedal accordingly and wait until something happens

Badger_Boom

Über Member

As an aside, my first experience with air brakes was a bit of a shock. Hired a 7.5 tonner to move some stuff, since, being old, my licence covers such vehicles - presumably our test was a lot stricter :-). I pressed the brakes and there was no resistance at all but there was at least a half second delay, so you press down further, then the brakes jam on hard. You had to learn to decide if you wanted slight braking, medium or full-on, then press the pedal accordingly and wait until something happens
Ah, good old grandfather rights. My experience of 7.5 tonner driving is similar.

Bonefish Blues

Banging donk

A little bit like the first time a manual driver uses an automatic...:blush:

Yep!!
Done that, been there, almost worn the windscreen!!!

Top Bottom