One For Classic Car Fans.....

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

BrumJim

Forum Stalwart (won't take the hint and leave...)
From my files

For my 40th, Senior Management bought me a TVR Trackday, at Bruntingthorpe
We combined it, with her undertaking some consultancy work at Market Harbrough

It was a bit belated, as we didn't manage to do it until into November
View attachment 620531

The 'Griff 500' is still probably my top dream car, barring unattainables such as a 289 Cobra

It was just so flexible, with the torque just seeming to pull the tarmac towards you
And, the noise, even inside was wonderful
View attachment 620526

View attachment 620527

"Darling!, can I drive it home?"
View attachment 620525

Then I got to drive a Sagaris, for a couple of laps
Then.......as a passenger, with a madman:wacko:

I still remember looking across & seeing 175MPH, at one point! :eek:

AND, him following a Lamborghini 'whatever' into a corner, that itself was lining up to pounce on an 'Evo'
He suggested waving goodbye to the Lambo, out of the corner, & it was dropped quite rapidly!!!

A mental machine!!

View attachment 620528

View attachment 620529
Sounds like you had a great day.

My Mum bought me a driving experience at Bruntingthorpe one year.

I turned up on my bicycle. I think this was a first for them!

Sounds like you had a great day.

My Mum bought me a driving experience at Bruntingthorpe one year.

I turned up on my bicycle. I think this was a first for them!
:wacko:
We arrived in a Mondeo TDCi (the model with the 'triangular' tail-lights

As As Aside
XH558 was restored/kept there
Sadly it was only open to the public on Sundays, & no amount of begging could gain me access, to see it, even though there was a team working on it

Last edited:

Badger_Boom

Über Member
From my files

Fleur De Lys Classic Vehicle Show
Thornes Park
Wakefield
Friday 5th July 2013

A Post Office Telephones Morris

Spot the unique features, but one seems to be not as well thought out, as it first appears!!

View attachment 620544

View attachment 620545

View attachment 620546

View attachment 620547
I think that's the Beardmore Brothers' GPO van. They also built a couple of spectacular custom minors, and a V8 powered Reliant Kitten.

Beardmore_V8Kitten.jpg

Back on topic, I was always puzzled about how useful or practical the rubber bumpers were, but theose mirrors don't look as if you'd be able to see much past the body.

I think that's the Beardmore Brothers' GPO van.
Back on topic, I was always puzzled about how useful or practical the rubber bumpers were, but theose mirrors don't look as if you'd be able to see much past the body.

It is indeed
http://www.beardmorebros.co.uk/webs...3mh_8gsyw4o9TAL6tgwm1zAxd9M4i5ukhxXi9JzzC6gUc

Yes;
Rubber wings.. but..... why have standard bumpers to fold back against them?
'Frogeye' headlamps.... mounted onto bracketry, through the wing?
Roof mounted wipers... needed with an opening drivers screen (but why??? - it has a rack for ladders)

gbb

Legendary Member
:wacko:
We arrived in a Mondeo TDCi (the model with the 'triangular' tail-lights

As As Aside
XH668 was restored/kept there
Sadly it was only open to the public on Sundays, & no amount of begging could gain me access, to see it, even though there was a team working on it
Typo i assume ? XH558
668 was apparently a Victor, crashed eons ago.

My dad and his brother (airframes and crew chief respectively) are named on plaques on the wings, one day i will get to see it close up.
Its slightly odd...i fear i may get emotional when i do, the Vulcan was almost part of the family.

God, i'd love to chat with the guys working on it, just to get a feel of what dad was actually doing on a day to day basis.

Badger_Boom

Über Member
Typo i assume ? XH558
668 was apparently a Victor, crashed eons ago.

My dad and his brother (airframes and crew chief respectively) are named on plaques on the wings, one day i will get to see it close up.
Its slightly odd...i fear i may get emotional when i do, the Vulcan was almost part of the family.

God, i'd love to chat with the guys working on it, just to get a feel of what dad was actually doing on a day to day basis.
Bruntingthorpe's Victor has the record for the last 'flight' by the type when it accidentally got airborne during an over enthusiastic high speed taxi in 2009.

View: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=TGjPu6DPzWU

My late father in law was also involved with Vulcans as an education oficer in the 70s when he was part of the OCU. Sadly we never managed to organise to go to one of the XH558 tours before he died although he did regale me with tales of occasional joy rides round the country in the jump seat.

raleighnut

Legendary Member
The 'Red Arrows' were also serviced at Bruntingthope or possibly Bitteswell aerodrome I went to school in Lutterworth in the mid 70s and there was always a display 'practice' over the aerodrome that was clearly visible from the school. :becool:

Drago

Legendary Member
Im getting a hankering for another Rover P6, ideally a series 1. Mrs D didn't say no when I mentioned it earlier today...

Top Bottom