One For Classic Car Fans.....

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

FishFright

More wheels than sense
My friend was rather tempted by this but decided against it

1953 Riley rme 1.5

_nc_ohc=uk7lqcsIjFoAb5GvcT9&_nc_ht=scontent-man2-1.jpg

_nc_ohc=nDimFi656KwAb4A6fe5&_nc_ht=scontent-man2-1.jpg

nice font on the instruments

@booze and cake
The Aretha murals are quick work, but damned good!!!

Carter Street (a clue to its previous main trade)
off WestGate
Wakefield

View attachment 426198

View attachment 426199

My friend was rather tempted by this but decided against it

1953 Riley rme 1.5

View attachment 727627

View attachment 727628
nice font on the instruments
I've seen an article on (I think it was..) one of these, that had had a diesel fitted to it
The same article had a (early 60's?) Roll-Royce fitted with a Perkins, & a Rover P4, with the 2 & 1/4 diesel from a Land-Rover 'series'
(it was in Practical Classics, a few years ago)

Profpointy

Legendary Member
I've seen an article on (I think it was..) one of these, that had had a diesel fitted to it
The same article had a (early 60's?) Roll-Royce fitted with a Perkins, & a Rover P4, with the 2 & 1/4 diesel from a Land-Rover 'series'

A friend used to have P4 which he'd
converted into an estate care. I think the body was aluminium anyway, so he'd used sheet ali pop rivetted into place to make the back bit and the tailgate as
off a Landie. During one of the 70s oil crises he'd decide it was too costly to run and fitted a diesel, again from a Landie. After a bit he got fed up with the performance and put the thirsty 6 cylinder Rover engine back. Had a ride in it a couple of times and it was a splendid thing. Oh, forgot to mention it was painted in matt khaki

A friend used to have P4 which he'd
converted into an estate care. I think the body was aluminium anyway, so he'd used sheet ali pop rivetted into place to make the back bit and the tailgate as
off a Landie. During one of the 70s oil crises he'd decide it was too costly to run and fitted a diesel, again from a Landie. After a bit he got fed up with the performance and put the thirsty 6 cylinder Rover engine back. Had a ride in it a couple of times and it was a splendid thing. Oh, forgot to mention it was painted in matt khaki
That sounds wonderful!!!

tyred

Legendary Member

All sorts of things got converted to diesel. I know someone close by put a Datsun/Nissan Patrol 6 cylinder diesel in a series 2 Jaguar XJ6.

I always remember a friend of my Dad's had fitted the Perkins A4.203 engine from an old forklift to a fastback Sunbeam Rapier. The front half of it was BRG ( or something very close to it). The back was black due to al the spot from the exhaust! I've always fancied a Rapier just because of the memories.

I used to play in a MK VII Jaguar that had a diesel conversion done using an engine from one of the smaller Leyland lorries of the time. My uncle had bought it it in Scotland at an auction many years ago and brought it back with him and gave it to my Grandad. It unfortunately got burnt when a horse fire got out of control. It was too far gone to restore anyway, I suspect. Would be a very valuable car if you had it today.

presta

Guru

That three-lane road was scary.
The A59 at Beamsley Bank/east of Bolton Bridge, was a 3-laner (aka 'suicide lane')
Wanting to turn right (heading west), after dropping off Kex Gill, to turn ttowards Storiths & ('Buffers Cafe' was scary at times!!
Even in the car, let alone after riding up there

Black Road/A655 at Wakefield used to be one as well
That's the road from Normanton/Castleford, that joins Doncaster Road (A638) below the (closed) Horse & Groom pub

Top Bottom