One For Classic Car Fans.....

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

MarkF

Guru
But looks-wise despite being the tattiest of the bunch, this is my favourite. I've never seen one before, which is not surprising as according to Wiki they only made 127 of them between 1960-63. Very cool looking car, a Jenson 541 S.
View attachment 486597
View attachment 486598

Think that is my favourite in the thread, so far.............

I like things that look well preserved but well used, far more than I like concours cars. That colour scheme is so bad it's good, the bodywork and chrome also bad but good, the superb wheel trims set the whole thing off (are they original?) it is totally gorgeous.:wub:

Ian H

Ancient randonneur
I didn't get a photo, but a splendidly polished rarity was parked in town a couple of days ago. An MGCGT.

booze and cake

probably out cycling
@MarkF I was particularly attracted to the wheels on the Jenson too, they look great.

I only got a pic of it from the back, but the back is its best feature I think. A 1970 Opel GT.
kjh27Dk.jpg

There's been a few over the years, but this is still the best looking Volvo estate of all time in my opinion. A 1971 P1800 sports estate.
IVpsmF8.jpg

They were built to last, according to wiki "In 1998, an 1800S owned by Irv Gordon (1940-2018) was certified as the highest mileage private vehicle driven by the original owner in non-commercial service — having exceeded three million miles (over 4.8 million km) as of 2013.
The Volvo styling after this went very square and tank like. And on the subject of tanks I saw this today, which I've never seen before. It too is a Volvo, designed for the Swedish Army its a Volvo L2104.
ivDNnQh.jpg

cosmicbike

Perhaps This One.....
Volvo,s wish I'd never parted with my S1 V70. I've a hankering for a V70R Phase I or II, but I'd settle for a 240 GLT estate to lug the dogs around in.

The 1.6 lump was fast in the light Felicia shell but they had problems which was a shock to many owners who thought they were buying VW reliability.The thermostat was a major weak link for some reason along with the exhaust manifold but when it did run right it was nippy ! I prefer the old Skoda 1300 engine,it's reliable,economic and very cheap to maintain.

Yep, tell me about the 1.6 in the Felicia shell - I had the top of the range GLXi, and yes, it went like stink. It handled really well too. You could really chuck it about, knowing it would do what you wanted it to do; an unassuming car that managed to put a lot of poncier stuff to shame, equally good as a motorway muncher as it was on on swoopy b-roads.

And yes, I had thermostat and exhaust problems with it, the former on a number of occasions. Although to be fair, one of those was down to a faulty part, which was replaced FOC. Wasn't what killed it though - tinworm and the passage of time did for it eventually, which was a real shame.

skudupnorth

Cycling Skoda lover
Yep, tell me about the 1.6 in the Felicia shell - I had the top of the range GLXi, and yes, it went like stink. It handled really well too. You could really chuck it about, knowing it would do what you wanted it to do; an unassuming car that managed to put a lot of poncier stuff to shame, equally good as a motorway muncher as it was on on swoopy b-roads.

And yes, I had thermostat and exhaust problems with it, the former on a number of occasions. Although to be fair, one of those was down to a faulty part, which was replaced FOC. Wasn't what killed it though - tinworm and the passage of time did for it eventually, which was a real shame.
It’s a shame the do called VW quality control did not go as far as good rust protection on the Felicia, I have seen so many go due to rust yet the previous model, the Favorit does not have as bad a problem. Still good cars though

Drago

Legendary Member
My ex had a Poxster. It was alright actually, albeit a little tight for a gent of my generous dimensions.

Truth

Boardman Hybrid Team 2016 , Boardman Hybrid Comp
🤣🤣 . In fairness I am 5 foot 5 and weigh 10 stone so its great for me but I would tend to agree the 986 Boxster is not the most roomy! The 987 is a little better I am told 👍

Top Bottom