One for Drago........ and possibly others.

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

DaveReading

Don't suffer fools gladly (must try harder!)
Berry gun - anyone remember those?

Involved a bit of wood, half a clothes peg and a lot of elastic bands.

Beebo

Firm and Fruity
This is the full extent of my fire arms experience

982CA123-24D8-489B-A586-0815FC017AAD.jpeg

Drago

Legendary Member
The motor car has killed far more people than the gun, and you don't bat an eyelid at owning one of those. Ditto your draw full of kitchen knives. They are all tools, no more no less, but when treated with disrespect or wilfully abused they can all kill or maim. Indeed, wheeled vehicles and knives are now the favoured tools of european terrorists, so you better get shot of yours right quick.

And have you never eaten meat? And what do you think kicked Hitler's mob out of your home country?

Last edited:

Smokin Joe

Legendary Member
Loads of air weapons but only one real gun. When I was about five and still living in Ireland my old man had a revolver. He took me out one afternoon and stood behind me with his hands over mine while I held it at arms length and pulled the trigger. I was then sworn to secrecy, which I duly observed.

Years later when I had a spell at a boarding school the other kids used to get sent comics by their parents while I used to get sent "Guns & Ammo".

Drago

Legendary Member
Goalkeeper is a type of CIWS?

Profpointy

Legendary Member
The motor car has killed far more people than the gun, and you don't bat an eyelid at owning one of those. Ditto your draw full of kitchen knives. They are all tools, no more no less, but when treated with disrespect or wilfully abused they can all kill or maim. Indeed, wheeled vehicles and knives are now the favoured tools of european terrorists, so you better get shot of yours right quick.

And have you never eaten meat? And what do you think kicked Hitler's mob out of your home country?

Neither motorcars nor kitchen knives are intended to kill or injure people, albeit it is an unfortunate consequence of their misuse. Firearms, particularly the ones being discussed here are specifically designed to do just that.
I'm not a pacifist and hence I want our soldiers to have the best weapons available, but it is disingenuous to pretend that their weapons are merely neutral tools

Drago

Legendary Member
Neither motorcars nor kitchen knives are intended to kill or injure people, albeit it is an unfortunate consequence of their misuse. Firearms, particularly the ones being discussed here are specifically designed to do just that.
I'm not a pacifist and hence I want our soldiers to have the best weapons available, but it is disingenuous to pretend that their weapons are merely neutral tools
No need to put words in my mouth - I never used the word "neutral". They are tools for hunting, pest control, sport, recreation, and even war. Tools for those purposes, open to misuse and abuse.

And that motor vehicles are not intended as a weapon is neither here nor there. They are frequently used as weapons to kill by terrorists, as has happened to terrible effect in Nice and London. Motor vehicles frequently kill through idiocy. Motor vehicles frequently kill through simple lack of attention and discipline on the part of the operator. Despite there having been 2 world wars, the Korean war, vietnam, 2 x gulf wars, the Iran-Iraq war, multiple pops at the Israelis, and dozens of other conflicts, the gun has still failed to come close to the butchers bill of the motor car. But that's OK, because the car driver (mostly) never meant it.

When someone is being lowered into their grave it's of no consequence to them that the car was never manufactured as a weapon - they're still dead. Be respectful around all items that have the potential to kill or maim, and don't be any less careful and respectful of the car because you simply happen to own one. Adopt a realistic approach to danger, not one based upon your clan membership. Trust me, if I were a loon I could kill a lot more people a lot more quickly in my XC90 than I could with my shotgun.

Last edited:

woodbutcher

Veteran
When I were a kid there was still a lot of ammo leftover from the war. Kids would find it in cupboards, we'd find clips and magazines in ditches, freshly ploughed fields would bring it to the surface. Sometimes fairly big stuff that was likely AA shells, 20 or 25mm.

We'd stick them in a vice and light them off with a hammer. How my generation are still alive is anyone's guess.
You didn't live in or around Boston Lincs. did you ? We must have shared the same charmed lives. On one notable occasion we made the Boston Standard newspaper because we managed to carry a rather large live shell home which we had found on the marshes round the Wash :whistle:

Accy cyclist

Legendary Member
As children living in a semi-rural area most of us had air rifles and the odd Webley .22 pistol. It wasn't unusual to see men and boys walking round with a covered rifle slung over their shoulders. When at secondary school a few of us would skive off triple maths on Monday mornings and head up to the reservoir for 'air rifle practise'. No wonder i got an unclassified mark for my maths o-level! About 15 years ago i thought i'd relive my youth and i bought a Crossman .22 carbine and a Crossman .22 pistol. I've never been into shooting birds,rabbits etc,i've only ever fired at tin cans and stuff. Those two air guns are still in a cupboard in my flat,having not been fired for 12 years.

Top Bottom