One for Drago........ and possibly others.

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Fab Foodie

hanging-on in quiet desperation ...
During my time in the RN, I fired countless amount of ammunition through the following

SLR
9mm Sterling
9mm Browning
SA80
12 gauge shotgun
7.62 GPMG
20mm Oerlikon 7a
20mm GAM-BO
40/60 Bofors
30mm GCM
30mm Goalkeeper

Plus

4.5 Mk8 Gun x 487 rounds
Seawolf Missile x 1
Seadart Missile x 1

Hence my avatar !!
You win!

pawl

Legendary Member
There was a lane that runs up past Nanpanton Reservoir near Loughborough Several of those half round f round shelters where packed full of ammo boxes In fact we were a little scared to look to far inside.They remained there for some time after the war.

sleuthey

Legendary Member
This is the only gun I’ve ever used. Yep, 007 Licence to Fill.

Smokin Joe

Legendary Member
Neither motorcars nor kitchen knives are intended to kill or injure people, albeit it is an unfortunate consequence of their misuse. Firearms, particularly the ones being discussed here are specifically designed to do just that.
I'm not a pacifist and hence I want our soldiers to have the best weapons available, but it is disingenuous to pretend that their weapons are merely neutral tools
People were killing each other long before guns were invented, and to an even greater extent than they are now. They were using swords, stones, knives, clubs and boiling oil among many other things.

Guzzi

When I were a kid there was still a lot of ammo leftover from the war. Kids would find it in cupboards, we'd find clips and magazines in ditches, freshly ploughed fields would bring it to the surface. Sometimes fairly big stuff that was likely AA shells, 20 or 25mm.

We'd stick them in a vice and light them off with a hammer. How my generation are still alive is anyone's guess.

My Dad used to put them in a vice and shoot at them with his air rifle you could still see the damage to my Grandads sheds 30 years later. I don't think my Grandfather minded we are a shooting family.

People still walk into gunshops with stuff they have found in a drawer, some of it can be quite scary stuff.

Last edited:

ozboz

Guru
As a Lad I had a fascination with guns , I joined the local ACF and had a good intro into using them in a controlled environment.The Unit Officer had a friend who was a private gun collecter , and what a collection he had , we used to go to Holcombe Brook ranges at least twice a month and when he came there was always something different to fire , cap lock pistols and rifles , a blunderbuss , Winchester (cowboy style ) Magnum hand gun , Smith and Wesson pistols to name a few, When I joined the Army I was assigned to what was known then as an Assault Troop of an Armoured Regt , I fired all sorts of things whilst in that , i was in the Regimental Shooting Team at one point , that was an excellent time , spent weeks on the ranges around Tidworth , and used to teamup with the Ghurka Rifles Team , proper nice blokes this Lad here must have remembered me as I was the youngest in the Team , he contacts me on Facebook , he ended up a Captain as far as I know and he held some sort of boxing trophy , Thapa Nam Sing , Top Soldier ,

Last edited:

slowmotion

Quite dreadful
As a teenager, my school had access to the 500 yard army firing range near Alresford. I happily shot away with a Lee-Enfield 0.303 until, after a year, I realised that it was seriously damaging the hearing in my right ear, at which point I stopped. On indoor ranges I used Lee-Enfield 0.22s. I once had a few bursts with a Stirling SMG too.
Much more recently I've tried clay pigeon shooting with Beretta and Browning over-and-under shotguns. Enormous fun!

CanucksTraveller

Macho Business Donkey Wrestler
People were killing each other long before guns were invented, and to an even greater extent than they are now. They were using swords, stones, knives, clubs and boiling oil among many other things.

Agreed, but: I suppose to play devil's advocate, I'd ask if any of those were engineered to kill men at distance rather than them being extensions of some other useful hunting or self defence thing.... It's often said that the firearm is the first thing specifically made to kill men at distance. I wonder what difference it made to the human battlefield in terms of casulaties.... Probably outweighs clubs, knives, swords and bombs by some number I'd imagine, nuclear included. They're a horrible weapon when you stop and think about it really. They make killing so, so easy.

slowmotion

Quite dreadful
Do kids still have cap guns in this day and age or did they die out. Used to love mine as a youngster.
I went to The Museum of Childhood with my daughter about fifteen years ago. There were absolutely no toy guns anywhere. They had been expunged from history. My childhood pals spent all their time playing pretend games with them but they have been deemed to be "very bad".

steveindenmark

Legendary Member
I served in the army for 12 years and then became a firearms officer in the police and like all of my ex collegues, I cannot understand the fascination of weapons to the extent the Americans seem to have. They are a tool. Even if they are a tool to kill people. I went to the firing ranges as part of my job and never spent my relaxation time there. It was interesting if someone turned up during work time with something a bit unusual and everyone wanted to fire it to see how it performed. But I have never been to a range on my days off just to fire at targets. My early experience of firing weapons was when I was stationed at Sir John Moore Barracks near Folkstone. We spent almost every day in December down at Hythe Ranges laying in the ice and snow. It was freezing. I have never been so cold. I think it put me off ranges for life. I have not touched a firearm for years and do not miss them.

Top Bottom