One-hundred and fourteen years ago

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

CharleyFarley

No Lycra. No carbon frames. No brakes. No gears. No helmets. What did they mean by 'Persuit'? Is that a team name, or an incorrect spelling of 'pursuit'? Were they pursuing other riders?

cycle team.png

figbat

Slippery scientist
Well to be fair modern track cycling has no brakes and no gears too. Team pursuit is a track cycling discipline where two teams start on opposite sides of the track and try to chase the other one down, the winner being either the team that does catch the other one, or failing that the team who crosses their start/finish line first after a set number of laps.

DCLane

Found in the Yorkshire hills ...
@CharleyFarley - it's the same rules as now (as put by @figbat ) and the bikes still have fixed gears, only larger chainrings / smaller sprockets plus TT bars. Track bikes have hardly changed in decades in terms of layout (the GB Hope bike being an exception). Helmets are compulsory though.

It's one of the current track cycling disciplines.

The velodrome they're at isn't very banked, with some having 40-45° banking indoors and 20-25° outdoors, although the white line denoting the track and the côte d'azur (as it's now light blue usually) is present.

To give you an idea where (in the UK) we do this there are some velodromes here: https://www.redbull.com/gb-en/best-velodromes-uk-public-tracks although the list doesn't include the Scunthorpe and Newcastle-under-Lyme tracks I go to, or a number of the other outdoor ones such as Middlesbrough/Knowlsley/etc. It also doesn't include grasstrack, which is track racing on grass rather than wood/tarmac/concrete. I can see you're in the USA and a list of those is here: https://legacy.usacycling.org/velodromes-in-the-us.htm

Give it a go!

Last edited:

figbat

Slippery scientist
No lycra but the shorts look tightly fitted, likely wool I’d guess. As always well defined legs are order of the day.
Well Lycra (elastane) wasn't invented until 1958 - I'm betting they'd have used it if it was available. They used the best material available at the time, as do current athletes.

Sharky

Guru
Googling, the picture is probably from the 1908 London Olympics at the White City stadium.
Track was 3 laps to the mile, so an enormous track, compared with some modern indoor velodromes.
I think the track at Herne Hill is of similar dimensions and still survives and I rode my one and only track event at the Bootle track on Merseyside which was also similar.

OP
OP
CharleyFarley

CharleyFarley

Well to be fair modern track cycling has no brakes and no gears too. Team pursuit is a track cycling discipline where two teams start on opposite sides of the track and try to chase the other one down, the winner being either the team that does catch the other one, or failing that the team who crosses their start/finish line first after a set number of laps.
Thank you. I'd never heard of that.

OP
OP
CharleyFarley

CharleyFarley

No lycra but the shorts look tightly fitted, likely wool I’d guess. As always well defined legs are order of the day.
I noticed their muscular legs. I wear shorts all the time here in Florida, and my wife noticed my muscular legs. I retired nine years ago and got into cycling about six years ago. I only ride just over eight miles each day, and sometimes twenty miles on cooler days, but it adds up.

OP
OP
CharleyFarley

CharleyFarley

@CharleyFarley - it's the same rules as now (as put by @figbat ) and the bikes still have fixed gears, only larger chainrings / smaller sprockets plus TT bars. Track bikes have hardly changed in decades in terms of layout (the GB Hope bike being an exception). Helmets are compulsory though.

It's one of the current track cycling disciplines.

The velodrome they're at isn't very banked, with some having 40-45° banking indoors and 20-25° outdoors, although the white line denoting the track and the côte d'azur (as it's now light blue usually) is present.

Give it a go!
That was awesome! I never saw anything like it, before. Doing some high speed, there, too, and so close together.

I'd give it a go if I could find some more old codgers in their mid-seventies that would join me. ^_^

OP
OP
CharleyFarley

CharleyFarley

@CharleyFarley - you start by learning to ride the track solo. Only then are others added in around you. It's riding fixed wheel, no brakes, with gearing dependent upon your power and/or the event.

Given this is in Florida, although I'm aware it's a decently-sized state, it may be worth getting in contact and trying it out: http://www.flavelo.org/
Anything over 8mph is too hard for me. I'm nearly 76. Anyway, I'd look funny going around a track on a fat bike. :tongue:

Top Bottom