One-hundred and fourteen years ago

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

simongt

Guru
just... glisten impressively!
And probably sag something shocking - ! :rofl:

classic33

Leg End Member
Googling, the picture is probably from the 1908 London Olympics at the White City stadium.
Track was 3 laps to the mile, so an enormous track, compared with some modern indoor velodromes.
I think the track at Herne Hill is of similar dimensions and still survives and I rode my one and only track event at the Bootle track on Merseyside which was also similar.
United Kingdom Gold Medal winning pursuit team in the 1908 Olympics.

Clarence Kingsbury, Leon (Leonard) Meredith, Benjamin Jones and Ernest Payne.

guitarpete247

Just about surviving
1647177691689.png

The team were:
  • Benjamin Jones
  • Clarence Kingsbury
  • Leon Meredith
  • Ernest Payne
And Gold medalists.

Dogtrousers

Kilometre nibbler
This may have come up in the past, but why is the drive train of all bikes on the right - ?
Is there a techno reason for it, or is it simply someone's early idea that no-one ever questioned - ? :whistle:
It has and there are various theories:

(Cue patriotic music) It was invented in Britain where we drive on the left. This puts the drivetrain away from the kerb which is good for some reason or other. The rest of the world was so in awe of Britain at the time they followed suit. I'm not sure I buy this one. I can't particularly see the advantage of having the drive train away from the kerb, and if there was such an advantage then continental Europe and the US would have put it on the left - industry wasn't so globalised back then.

Most right-handed people prefer to mount from the left, by raising the right leg over, and choose to wheel the bike by holding it with the right hand, standing on the left of the bike. This puts the oily stuff on the opposite side to the rider. I guess that's possible.

It's due to the coriolis effect. But bikes in Australia are upside down so right is left and left is right. ;)

Last edited:

classic33

Leg End Member
It has and there are various theories:

It was invented in Britain where we drive on the left. This puts the drivetrain away from the kerb which is good for some reason or other. The rest of the world was so in awe of Britain at the time they followed suit. I'm not sure I buy this one. I can't particularly see the advantage of having the drive train away from the kerb, and if there was such an advantage then continental Europe and the US would have put it on the left - industry wasn't so globalised back then.

Most right-handed people prefer to mount from the left, by raising the right leg over, and choose to wheel the bike by holding it with the right hand , and standing on the left of the bike. This puts the oily stuff on the opposite side to the rider. I guess that's possible.

It's due to the coriolis effect. But bikes in Australia are upside down so right is left and left is right. ;)
Nay lad
'ere be the true reason.
Long ago...in a blacksmith's forge just ouside Birmingham... the first bicycle was being invented.... the blacksmith calls to his apprentice....

" Jethroe, hand me that left handed sprocket I made last week..!"

(...a little time later...)

"Sorry, Mr Boothroyd, I can't find it - but here's that right-handed one you made - 'just in case'.."

"Ok, Jethroe, hand it me then - that'll have to so I s'pose..."

figbat

Slippery scientist
Most right-handed people prefer to mount from the left, by raising the right leg over, and choose to wheel the bike by holding it with the right hand, standing on the left of the bike. This puts the oily stuff on the opposite side to the rider. I guess that's possible.
I wonder if it's a carry-over from the olde dayes. Convention has it that you mount a horse from the left, since you would have your sword hanging from the left side of your body (being right-handed) hence it wouldn't get in the way during the mounting process. Time passes and getting on stuff from the left remains universal (see motorbikes, for example). So if you're getting on from the left then yes, why not put the oily stuff the other side. Horses, bicycles and motorcycles are right-hand drive. And helicopters (mostly).

Dogtrousers

Kilometre nibbler
Could you explain the coriolis effect, in language that a layman can follow?
(Most explanations are unfathomable!!!)
No. I've no idea really what it is. It's something to do with the rotation of the earth and the effect it has on weather systems.

I wasn't being serious when I suggested it may be a factor in drive train positioning.

Dogtrousers

Kilometre nibbler
I wonder if it's a carry-over from the olde dayes. Convention has it that you mount a horse from the left, since you would have your sword hanging from the left side of your body (being right-handed) hence it wouldn't get in the way during the mounting process. Time passes and getting on stuff from the left remains universal (see motorbikes, for example). So if you're getting on from the left then yes, why not put the oily stuff the other side. Horses, bicycles and motorcycles are right-hand drive. And helicopters (mostly).
Question for horse experts like @KnittyNorah

Is horse riding equipment "handed"? For example are saddles specially shaped so it's easier to get on them from the left? That sort of thing. Do left-handers grumble when introduced to horse riding that it's the wrong way round? And would a horse be a bit disgruntled if you decided to mount from the "other" side, the one that it's not used to?

Last edited:

classic33

Leg End Member
Question for horse experts like @KnittyNorah

Is horse riding equipment "handed"? For example are saddles specially shaped so it's easier to get on them from the left? That sort of thing. Do left-handers grumble when introduced to horse riding that it's the wrong way round? And would a horse be a bit disgruntled if you decided to mount from the "other" side, the one that it's not used to?
Ride side saddle and you'd be on the left.

tyred

Legendary Member
The original Rover Safety Bicycle had the drive train on the left. It was one of the things that stood out when I saw one in a museum.

Some day I'm going to build a bike with the drive train on the left, just to see if anyone notices. Will have to be fixed wheel. The pedals will potentially unscrew as the cranks will need to be used on the wrong sides.

Top Bottom