One law you'd like enforced, one you'd like enacted

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

swee'pea99

Legendary Member
I get to start 'cos it's my thread!

Enforced: I'd like to see CCTV used to vigorously enforce the sanctity of zebra crossings. Drivers increasingly ignore people waiting, or even swerve round people with a foot on the crossing. No! Respect the crossing, or Suffer The Consequences.

Enacted: Legislation requiring banks and other big businesses to safeguard their customers' money as energetically as they safeguard their own. Simple algorithms that flag up 'unusual' activity, like someone's phone suddenly being used to dial premium rate numbers for hours at a time, when they've never dialled a premium rate number in the ten years they've been a customer, or when someone suddenly, unprecedentedly, tries to withdraw £1000 from an ATM. (This triggered by a story in the paper about a woman whose debit card got lost in the post and used to withdraw £6000, in several batches, and Barclays just say 'tough shoot lady'. Could they not have contacted her after the first grand? Of course they could. If they had a program that flagged it up and said 'hang on just one cotton-pickin' moment....')

So: one law that exists (but isn't enforced enough); and one that doesn't (but should).

Enforced: I'd like to see CCTV used to vigorously enforce the sanctity of zebra crossings. Drivers increasingly ignore people waiting, or even swerve round people with a foot on the crossing. No! Respect the crossing, or Suffer The Consequences.
I'd like to see road users required to stop when they see someone waiting to cross at a pedestrian crossing.

Law enforced? Red lights. Cameras should trigger when it turns red, not seconds later.

Slick

Guru
Enforced: The close pass thing does get to me from time to time.

Enacted: Everyone approaching a main road from the left but looking right whilst still edging forward should be shot immediately.

Drago

Legendary Member
Enforced - parking with your vehicle oriented incorrectly in the toad at night.
Enacted - 28 days driving ban for minor motoring offences. None of this points rubbish, just automatic, different levels of disqualification depending on the seriousness of the infraction. That should distill a few minds.

Drago

Legendary Member
You know me, master of the amusing typou.

NorthernDave

Never used Über Member
Enforced - an old favourite - mobile phone in a car (or van, truck, etc). It's rampant, assisted by there being virtually zero roads police about (despite what Traffic Cops / Police Interceptors might have you believe). If I may, I'd also add to the points / fine combo with the addition of the phone and SIM being confiscated and destroyed at the same time.

Enacted - I did think about a new law of being a dick in charge of a motor vehicle, which would cover a multitude of sins, but have decided to go for a topical one - fail to pay your fair and reasonable taxes and get 3 years in jail (no time off for good behaviour) and confiscation of ALL your assets, including those you've hidden in your other half or childrens names. And on release from jail, public services will only be available to you on a pay as you go basis for a further 3 years.

NickNick

Laws I'd like to see enforced: tax& white collar crime laws (having spent first half of my working life in such sectors, they rarely are).

Law id like to see enacted: none, if anything there are plenty that need scrapping and the remaining just need to be enforced properly.

Top Bottom