One pannier or two?

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

TheDoctor

Europe Endless
I'm going against the trend here, because I'd just use one.
I'm doing Hadrian's Wall in a few weeks, and I'm planning on travelling as light as I possibly can.
Having two half-full panniers just means more temptation to take heavy 'just-in-case' stuff.
Admittedly, I do draw the line at doing a Reacher and only taking a folding toothbrush. Just about.

KneesUp

Guru
If you take one and the clips snap you’ll be annoyed you didn’t bring the other. Plus as others have said it makes it more balanced and means it’s easier to find stuff.

Pale Rider

Legendary Member
Far more important than any practical consideration is that a single pannier is a significant breach of touring cycling etiquette.

But if you must, put it on the right - off -side because it will give you a little more road presence from behind.

mudsticks

Obviously an Aubergine
IMG_20190716_115343_416.jpg

Speaking of panniers.
I've just taken delivery of these two beauties from UPSO

Made from recycled lorry tarps.
Waterproof, hi - vis and funky to look at.

They even match the orange detailing on my bike.

Supersmart..

Floating Bombus

View attachment 475708

Speaking of panniers.
I've just taken delivery of these two beauties from UPSO

Made from recycled lorry tarps.
Waterproof, hi - vis and funky to look at.

They even match the orange detailing on my bike.

Supersmart..
Those are brilliant! Well, at least they look good and, as they're a Carradice project, it's probably safe to assume the quality is tough too. And they'll be unique...

OP
OP
All uphill

All uphill

Still rolling along
Now you have that advice, are you going to share your tour plans? Lots of help and advice on here if you need it
I live in Somerset and am in Winchester tonight, heading for Guildford tomorrow to stay with my sister.

Shaftesbury to Salisbury this morning was fabulous. Chandler's Ford to Winchester during the school run less so.

Last edited:
OP
OP
All uphill

All uphill

Still rolling along
Two panniers evenly loaded makes a bike easier to walk along with holding the saddle or stem when necessary. One heavy pannier means the bike always wants to fall away from or towards you and you have to actively hold it upright, which is tedious. Share the weight left/right and the bike is much more pleasant to use.
If you take one and the clips snap you’ll be annoyed you didn’t bring the other. Plus as others have said it makes it more balanced and means it’s easier to find stuff.
Now you've given me something new to worry about! Oh well only 50ish miles to go

Top Bottom