One recumbent just wasn't enough!!!!

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Misty

Well, only a couple of months after buying a Mistral, I spotted a Trice QNT for sale.

I was convinced I'd never ride a trike - there never seemed to be any need - but it's SOOOOOooooo hilly here and my routes on the Mistral are limited by my lack of 'bent legs.

The trike gives me the chance to grind uphill (albeit slowly!!!) so I can ride in a variety of directions from home, and I get to build up my 'bent muscles in a safe (ish!) way, rather than freaking about going so slow I'll fall off, or end up wobbling across the road in front of a farm truck!

Did a little 30 miler this afternoon to test all the gear / handlebar / tracking settings.

STILL GRINNING!!!!!! HOOOOO-RAAAAAAAA

tongskie01

Well, only a couple of months after buying a Mistral, I spotted a Trice QNT for sale.

I was convinced I'd never ride a trike - there never seemed to be any need - but it's SOOOOOooooo hilly here and my routes on the Mistral are limited by my lack of 'bent legs.

The trike gives me the chance to grind uphill (albeit slowly!!!) so I can ride in a variety of directions from home, and I get to build up my 'bent muscles in a safe (ish!) way, rather than freaking about going so slow I'll fall off, or end up wobbling across the road in front of a farm truck!

Did a little 30 miler this afternoon to test all the gear / handlebar / tracking settings.

STILL GRINNING!!!!!! HOOOOO-RAAAAAAAA

just like me. raptobike and kmx. youll get good bent legs soon.

OP
OP
M

Misty

This morning I climbed my first 17% hill on the Trike - something I couldn't do on the recumbent.
OK, so it felt like I was "winching" myself up at less than 3 miles an hour, and yes, I thought my legs were going to die half way up, but what a great sense of achievement at the top.
Roll on the rest of the winter training - maybe by spring I'll fall in love with the recumbent bike all over again!

byegad

Legendary Member
You can go much lower with your bottom gear on a trike. I have around 15" on both my trikes. This will get me up anything at such a pace that a bike would topple.

tongskie01

You can go much lower with your bottom gear on a trike. I have around 15" on both my trikes. This will get me up anything at such a pace that a bike would tople.

looks like i might have to buy an e type front derailleur. i only got 40t in front at the moment. have to sort out my credit card..
whistling.gif

You can go much lower with your bottom gear on a trike. I have around 15" on both my trikes. This will get me up anything at such a pace that a bike would topple.

I go one lower with my Trice Q with a 12.5" bottom gear.
Dropped my inner ring from 26 teeth to 22 teeth.
Max climbing speed in that gear is a whopping 3.2 mph ........ :biggrin:

PaulM

Guru
This morning I climbed my first 17% hill on the Trike - something I couldn't do on the recumbent.
OK, so it felt like I was "winching" myself up at less than 3 miles an hour, and yes, I thought my legs were going to die half way up, but what a great sense of achievement at the top.
Roll on the rest of the winter training - maybe by spring I'll fall in love with the recumbent bike all over again!
Glad to hear you are enjoying it. Get a friend/partner to check that the chain line goes through the pivot point when you are sat on the trike. Also check the headset bearings have no free play, and wipe dust from the inside of the drums once or twice a year.

Which Chainset are you using?

Standard one (slightly modded) which came with the trike.
48-36-22 front, 9-32 back.

But I'm thinking of changing to a road triple in front, 53-39-26.
I would loose the 12.5" gear and only have a 15" is my min.
But I'd gain around a 110" at the top end and spinout at over 35mph ....... :biggrin:

Top Bottom