One thing I found out this morning.

Discussion in 'Commuting' started by Kiwiavenger, 19 Jul 2012.

1. Kiwiavenger

Kiwiavenger im a little tea pot

It's amazing how quickly you can stop from 40 mph when rounding a corner to be confronted with the back of a double decker!

On the plus note I managed to avoid hiting it however my new bib tights may need a wash (or an incinerator) and the new 105 calipers and Aztec blocks worked wonders! Am very impressed

Was a lovely commute though

Sent from my LT15i using Tapatalk 2

2. gaz

gaz Cycle Camera TV

A wise man once told me. "You may know the road but do you know what is around the corner?"

Pat "5mph" likes this.
  3. Hip Priest

Hip Priest Veteran

You can corner at 40 mph? Jesus.

LosingFocus and Boris Bajic like this.
  4. OP
    OP
    Kiwiavenger

Kiwiavenger im a little tea pot

It was a longish corner but really shallow and downhill with a hedge on the side blocking my view. I was pedaling like a man posessed too! Lol.

Was a lovely ride in though, and very uneventful except the brown trouser moment!

Sent from my LT15i using Tapatalk 2

5. Hip Priest

Hip Priest Veteran

Chapeau. You've got bigger balls than me. 34mph is my max. It's the bike's fault though, obviously.

6. phil_hg_uk

phil_hg_uk I am not a member, I am a free man !!!!!!

Did this also at the weekend, going down a steep hill at full tilt ............ corner looks ok ........... OH S**T ................... managed to grab the brakes and pull into a parking space before I reached the transit van coming the otherway up the only part of the skinny road to have cars blocking one side of it :sweat:

7. CopperBrompton

CopperBrompton Bicycle: a means of transport between cake-stops

Fridge Theory. Always imagine a fridge has fallen off the back of a lorry just around the corner.

8. Miquel In De Rain

Miquel In De Rain No Longer Posting

Im sure that wasCycling Mikey.

9. Red Light

Red Light Guest

Always cycle so as to be able to stop in the distance you can see to be clear.

10. avsd

avsd Veteran

Being an unwise man going round a blind corner costed me 2-3 months off the bike and Mycyclelog target for 2012:angry: Dislocated collarbone as I hit another cyclist coming the other direction on a cycle path. I had 105 brakes and was doing 15-20mph when I had the accident but obviously poorer reaction times. Be wise and be sate :thumbsup:

11. avsd

avsd Veteran

PS - The other cyclist was OK just a little shaken up and stayed with me until International Rescue arrived. ^_^

12. Miquel In De Rain

I had an ambulance pull out on me this morning suddenly,he jumped the red but he had his lights on but no siren,so I don't think your comment is always possible...I managed to dodge not brake.

Checking camera footage,second time that has happened with an ambulance there.

13. subaqua

subaqua What’s the point

if it had happened once to me "there" i would have been treating "there" with caution

14. Red Light

Red Light Guest

There is a difference between going round a blind bend too fast when you don't know what is round the bend and having someone pull out in front of you. Mind you I agree with subaqua's comment if it has happened twice.

15. Miquel In De Rain

One before since 1990 when I first started using the route to commute,although the second time in about two years,the last was on a bank holiday oddly enough...and it's on utube.

Dont think I can be expect silent red light jumping ambulances all the time.

Christ,it's so easy to be perfect on here.

View: http://youtu.be/JRRpKUjblm8

The original incident footage.doesn't work for me at the moment.

Although it doesn't seem to work I found out it happened on 30 Aug 2010 which makes me a bad cyclist as I didn't look out for a red light jumping ambulance with no sirens almost two years later.

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice