One thing I found out this morning.

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

subaqua

What’s the point
One before since 1990 when I first started using the route to commute,although the second time in about two years,the last was on a bank holiday oddly enough...and it's on utube.

Dont think I can be expect silent red light jumping ambulances all the time.

Christ,it's so easy to be perfect on here.

View: http://youtu.be/JRRpKUjblm8

The original incident footage.doesn't work for me at the moment.

expect the unexpected. not trying to be perfect. i always take extra care on York Rd E10 as i have been caught out once or twice there 2nd time when i was being cautious

Miquel In De Rain

No Longer Posting
expect the unexpected. not trying to be perfect. i always take extra care on York Rd E10 as i have been caught out once or twice there 2nd time when i was being cautious

I'll expect the tardis there next time.

subaqua

What’s the point
Is this the only place you take extra care at then?:boxing:

What's up with York Road?

The incident happened at 0534 guess that's why he had his sirens off.
he

View:

View: http://youtu.be/7eIG5M15XNk

no, take extra care at a few places where a WTF moment has happened. York rd is a 1 way from high rd to alexandra rd. I thought you wouldn't expect a vehicle to come out the wrong way. it did, twice, at different times of the day. it always get treated with caution if i ride that way.

Mad Doug Biker

Just a damaged guy.
On my Felt, the brakes are usually very good, but for reason, the front breaks seem to be that more powerful, so in the past, I have been known to stop very quickly with the rear wheel becoming airborne in the process!

Luckily it doesn't rear up too much, but it is still enough for you to notice!

Miquel In De Rain

No Longer Posting
no, take extra care at a few places where a WTF moment has happened. York rd is a 1 way from high rd to alexandra rd. I thought you wouldn't expect a vehicle to come out the wrong way. it did, twice, at different times of the day. it always get treated with caution if i ride that way.

Fair enough..I will look out for low flying ambulances.:whistle:

Rob3rt

Man or Moose!
With armchair cycling mode engaged I would theorise, that in the 1st video, it was a non-incident, the beep left plenty of time to brake etc and I dont think it warrants any drama at all.

In the second video, it was more of a shock situation and I can sympathise, but personally I would have been on the brakes ready for the unexpected when crossing any junction or joining road, I would also have reduced my speed and had a good look down that connecting road at the soonest possible point and proceeded with some caution across the junctions (I have been knocked off twice in these type of locations in two differing circumstances so I am very careful now).

But alas, this was on the road not in my living room so I can see why it might have taken you by surprise!

CopperBrompton

Bicycle: a means of transport between cake-stops
I might be missing something here, but in the first example it looks to me like the ambulance driver did exactly what they were supposed to: gave way, sounded a warning, waited for you to cede precedence and then proceeded.

Agree the second one looked a bit tight (though I couldn't see from the video whether you were forced to brake).

I'd be interested if any paramedic on here could answer why I sometimes see Ambos with lights but no sirens? We (police) quite often choose to use lights only, if we don't want to scare the burglars away before we get there for example, but I can see no real logic with an Ambulance not giving traffic the best possible chance to hear/see them?

CopperBrompton

Bicycle: a means of transport between cake-stops
According to a paramedic friend:
"Mostly because sirens tend to raise the blood pressure of a casualty, which isn't good news where there is any kind of bleeding, especially internal bleeding. There are other reasons (eg. silent approach to a suicide attempt in progress) and noise complaints between 11pm and 7am where sirens are used more sparingly, but the first reason is the main one."

Top Bottom