one-way berations

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Cab

Bonj, if you can't hear him then there is no point having a conversation with him. No point stopping to yell at him because you can't put down any comments he makes; to him, you're some deaf nutter who had a go at him.

biking_fox

Guru
If you'd not had earphones in you may well have heard said nutter approaching and been able to position yourself so you weren't cut up.

Cycling isn't boring.

Certainly on the roads I ride, I wouldn't want any of my attention distracted anywhere else.

4F

Active member of Helmets Are Sh*t Lobby
No music here either and I cannot say I have ever got bored even on the empty country stretches. I think listenening to music takes away a vital sense irrespective of how loud you have it.

gavintc

Guru
On my commute, I have the ipod on. If the level is lowish, you can still hear the cars comings. Anyway at night, you can see the cars coming up behind.

gambatte

Middle of the pack...
gavintc said:
If the level is lowish, you can still hear the cars comings.

So long as you're actually listening to everything around you and not getting distracted.......

Any suggestions as to 'music to get knocked off to'? ;) :angry:

Tynan

Veteran
FatFellaFromFelixstowe said:
Hi Tynan, hows the training for the Dun run going ?

hey

still on the junker so still 'only' doing 26 miles a day, I am pushing on though and feeling much fitter and faster in the last few weeks

I had the first £500 of the £799 for a lovely Condor Fratello and fit, was going to take a half day off on Friday to go down there for a test ride, fall in love, fit and order

Only the wife has just called to say she'd had no money paid today (barrister) and she needs 'my' £500 to cover a cheque

sigh

as soon as I get the new beauty I'm go out for some longer rides with the local club, I suspect I'm in really good shape (for a middle aged commuter) but I doubt I've ever ridden more than a mile without stopping for lights and starting again, so some distance riding is likely a good idea

I pissed the L2B on two weeks of commuting after years of getting fat on a scooter so I'm fairly complacent, granted it's a lot further and overnight

abchandler

Pete said:
[pedant]By the way, the word you were thinking of (in the thread title) is 'berating'. There is no such noun as 'beration' unless you're in the business of firing off nonce-words :angry:. Anyway I took it for a typo for 'aberration' ;)[/pedant]

Clearly you're not familiar with Bonj's word creational powers. If he decides it's a word - it's a word

leoc

I don't listen to music on the bike for the same reason I didn't when I ran, I just feel more connected to the task. However, you should be able to cycle safety without being able to hear, deaf people cycle and drive cars. In fact I suspect of you rely on your sense of hearing you'll hear cars, but what about that cyclist? In heavy traffic or headwinds, you have to look, your hearing's not going to tell you anything useful.

Tynan

Veteran
if you can hear a car coming up behind you, hear the engine note change then I'd suggest your hearing can be/is helpful

the utter insulated lack of awareness of so many drivers is a clue to that

QuickDraw

Tetedelacourse said:
No music for me, wouldn't feel as aware. Also, how can you be sure you sound angry? You might have sounded like a Beegee and thought you sounded like Mick McCarthy.

Have you ever heard Mick McCarthy shout? It's one of the funniest things I've ever heard. In the dark days of Liam Brady when the stadium was half emty you could clearly hear him squeaking, yes squeaking, at the other players. He's got the most ridiculous high pitched shout you've ever heard.

Sorry for that interruption, carry on with the earphone discussion now.

FWIW cycling is not boring without music. There's too much to think about to bother with music. And, more importantly, you can't hear the traffic behind. You can't make a manouvre based on just hearing but it'll certainly tell when not to.

Tetedelacourse

QuickDraw said:
Have you ever heard Mick McCarthy shout? It's one of the funniest things I've ever heard. In the dark days of Liam Brady when the stadium was half emty you could clearly hear him squeaking, yes squeaking, at the other players. He's got the most ridiculous high pitched shout you've ever heard.

FWIW cycling is not boring without music. There's too much to think about to bother with music. And, more importantly, you can't hear the traffic behind. You can't make a manouvre based on just hearing but it'll certainly tell when not to.

:biggrin::biggrin:

QuickDraw said:

Surely his squeaking is not as high pitch as mine is on some of my videos:rolleyes:.

I don't know what it is, but when someone cuts me up my voice jumps a couple of octaves! (Actually reading over that last sentence, it probably makes more sense if I replace the word cuts with snips...:biggrin:)

Top Bottom