one-way berations

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

swee'pea99

Legendary Member
I guess at least in part it depends on your ride. Personally I would never ride with music, but I suppose if your commute is 45 mins through a drab and empty landscape it might make some kind of sense - for my 25 min burn through the London rush hour, it would be just plain bonkers.

Plax

Guru
I've never listened to music whilst cycling or running. Mainly because it was drummed into me as a child that listening to headphones whilst walking to/from school near busy roads was silly and dangerous as my full attention would not be on the traffic and I might get run over.

tdr1nka

Taking the biscuit
magnatom said:
I don't know what it is, but when someone cuts me up my voice jumps a couple of octaves! (Actually reading over that last sentence, it probably makes more sense if I replace the word cuts with snips...:wacko:)

Speaking as one who has been snipped, I have still retained my rich bass baritone.

I say no to headphones while cycling, even tried a bluetooth headset for the phone but that was distracting too.

I overheard a conversation the other day, it was ace:

"I'm lucky, I've only been knocked off my bicycle [by a car] twice"
then...
"some people cycle across town in rush hour listening to their i-pods. Idiots"

I thought about piping up that 1 - I listen to quiet music but look around me, and 2 - I haven't been knocked off by a car

But then I thought i'd be tempting fate. Mind you, Mr Drinka, I would NEVER use a phone while riding because that would really take my mind elsewhere.

(as an aside, my MP3 player has been playing up and sometimes I won't notice that I haven't got music, even after 20 mins without it. I like tunes, but they aren't intrusive the way I play 'em)

OP
OP
B

bonj2

Pete said:
I'm afraid I'm with Dave here. If the road is 'boring without music' - well: it may on the other hand be 'dangerous with music'. Your ears are an important asset: use them to stay alive! Hear the noise of that following car's engine! Hear that ambulance siren approaching from a distance! Listen to music by all means when conditions are appropriate - e.g. cycle path or totally deserted road where you don't expect any vehicles.

[pedant]By the way, the word you were thinking of (in the thread title) is 'berating'. There is no such noun as 'beration' unless you're in the business of firing off nonce-words :tongue:. Anyway I took it for a typo for 'aberration' :huh:[/pedant]

i COULD hear the engine noise behind me, but i can't HEAR the steering wheel being yanked left can i...:wacko:

OP
OP
B

bonj2

Tynan said:
firm believer in no music, ears are a big deal for all that blind spot behind

and I like the 'in future' bit

defo a vague implied threat there, nice

also the 'jab' - psychologists say that the pointing of the index finger in a sharp 'jabbing' motion towards the person's face is actually a very aggressive gesture, ... therefore it satisfies the anger and placates the red mist without having to use violence.

OP
OP
B

bonj2

Tetedelacourse said:
No music for me, wouldn't feel as aware. Also, how can you be sure you sound angry? You might have sounded like a Beegee and thought you sounded like Mick McCarthy.
i know i can't possibly get my voice particularly high, i always sound fairly gruff

Tetedelacourse said:
One-way tirades are fine as they have cathartic value and are far less offensive than eg the fuel-guzzling bonj-swiper's actions. Fair game. Drive like an idiot, prepare to be castigated like an idiot.
thank you Tete. this is the sort of answer i was lookin for :wacko:

Cab said:
Bonj, if you can't hear him then there is no point having a conversation with him. No point stopping to yell at him because you can't put down any comments he makes; to him, you're some deaf nutter who had a go at him.

it wasn't a conversation, it was a beration. The reason I'm not sure it would have been particularly worth listening to what he had to say is that for one, i could quite easily have predicted what it was. something along the lines of either: (a) "well I thought i gave you plenty of room", (:huh: "I thought you were going slower", (c) "sorr-rree!", or (d) "f**k off pal i'm late for work".
For another, I wanted to do the thing that has the most impact on him. If i had an airzound, then making him jump out of his skin with a long blast on it woul have been preferable. But i don't have one for other reasons, so I felt that something that (a) rattled his cage and (:tongue: didn't waste my time, would have made him take notice more than something beginning 'excuse me mister, but...'

HJ

Cycling in Scotland
Just print off a few copies of this and hand them to them, assuming they can read of course...

Thanks for the idea Mag...

Cab

bonj said:
it wasn't a conversation, it was a beration. The reason I'm not sure it would have been particularly worth listening to what he had to say is that for one, i could quite easily have predicted what it was. something along the lines of either: (a) "well I thought i gave you plenty of room", (:wacko: "I thought you were going slower", (c) "sorr-rree!", or (d) "f**k off pal i'm late for work".
For another, I wanted to do the thing that has the most impact on him. If i had an airzound, then making him jump out of his skin with a long blast on it woul have been preferable. But i don't have one for other reasons, so I felt that something that (a) rattled his cage and (:wacko: didn't waste my time, would have made him take notice more than something beginning 'excuse me mister, but...'

You achieved one thing; he thinks you're a deaf nutter. Conversations have to be two way.

Tynan

Veteran
bonj wanted to let the bloke know how he felt, job done

you know the other party has nothing useful to say

OP
OP
B

bonj2

Cab said:
You achieved one thing; he thinks you're a deaf nutter. Conversations have to be two way.

yes but whether he wants to admit it to himself or not, he also knows he did something wrong.

Abitrary

bonj said:
I cycled up and shouted "OI!! drive like that on your test, did you?" (cheers magnatom for that one :wacko:) he looked bewildered. I then from about 4 feet from him, jabbed a finger aggressively towards him and shouted "just WATCH IT in future!"

If it's cold weather I have to actually give my frozen cheeks and mouth a bit of a rub / wiggle before I can enunciate words properly when I get in to work.

If it was cold, and you couldn't hear what you were saying, mightned you have run the risk of sounding a little, er, mongy when you were abusing him?

Top Bottom