one-way berations

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Abitrary

You did the right thing. The stresses of commuting in heavy traffic need an outlet to reduce the blood pressure of the cyclist... a oneway tirade is just as likely to provide this as an informed debate with the motorist.

The other day on a narrow road, a motorist had to pootle behind me for about 300 yards, and got frustrated to the point of overtaking and pulling up right over the ASL, and nosing even in front of that. I pulled up even further in front of them, because the ASL is for my safety.

I let this carry on for another 200 yards down the next road and when it was safe enough, I let them overtake, giving them a insouciant lingering finger in their rear view mirror.

mr_hippo

Living Legend & Old Fart
bonj said:
Surely some other of you lot must have faced this situation?

First of all, I am not one of 'you lot' - very offensive term! Most cyclists have faced situations like this. Many of us behave like gentlemen (and ladies), may mutter a few Anglo-Saxon words under out breath and be on our merry way whilst other act like Neanderthals. There are also gentlemen motorists who apologise and Neanderthal ones. What would have happened at the petrol pump when Neanderthal cyclist with collapsible pump met Neanderthal driver with baseball bat?
Bonj, are you aware that motorists visit petrol stations? There is always the possibility of someone cutting you off there.
I never listen to music whilst riding; I find the gramophone is far too heavy, have to stop every few minutes to wind it up and those steel needles play havoc with my 78s.
A serious question for all MP3 cyclists - does your choice of music affect your cadence?

OP
OP
B

bonj2

mr_hippo said:
First of all, I am not one of 'you lot' - very offensive term!
"you lot" as in other people of the forum. can't see how that's offensive.

mr_hippo said:
What would have happened at the petrol pump when Neanderthal cyclist with collapsible pump met Neanderthal driver with baseball bat?
he doesn't give driver who may or may not have basebal bat enough time to get out of his car, before cycling off.
Cyclist who stays and tries to engage in debate with neanderthal motorist with baseball bat? he runs the risk of incurring the wrath of said motorist.

mr_hippo said:
Bonj, are you aware that motorists visit petrol stations? There is always the possibility of someone cutting you off there.
Course there's the possibility, but it's perfectly possible for any motorist to enter the petrol station without cutting up a cyclist.. Surely you're not excusing his actions? So why even mention it?
You weren't there, I was - i'm telling you it was dangerous. If I hadn't had such good reactions and brakes i would have run into the side of him.

mr_hippo said:
A serious question for all MP3 cyclists - does your choice of music affect your cadence?
for me, not significantly I don't think so.
Can't speak for anybody else though.

gambatte

Middle of the pack...
mr_hippo said:

If this is some form of justification or blame shifting for the original incident (?) then it appears you're also attempting to justify any left hook and any vehicle emerging from a junction without looking - In fact, any incident of bad driving with a level of predictability?

mr_hippo

Living Legend & Old Fart
gambatte said:
If this is some form of justification or blame shifting for the original incident (?) then it appears you're also attempting to justify any left hook and any vehicle emerging from a junction without looking - In fact, any incident of bad driving with a level of predictability?

Now, it is just saying 'Be aware of your surroundings at all times.' - no more, no less.

gambatte

Middle of the pack...
mr_hippo said:
Now, it is just saying 'Be aware of your surroundings at all times.' - no more, no less.

I guessed, seeing as he's survived a 20+ mile each way commute for a while now, he's pretty aware of his surroundings.

I'm aware of my surroundings when riding, doesn't stop near misses with damned stupid left hooks.

(Bonj - worst was out Saville St - near the giant stainless steel spider - loads of sprinting cars:angry:)

Top Bottom