One way roadworks, that means bikes as well... (Stafford)

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

domd1979

Veteran
I was going to work in the motor vehicle this morning. Side road on way to work has roadworks on it which means the road is one way towards town. There are barriers down the middle of the road which make the lane width not very much wider than a car. At the top of the road are no entry signs and one way signs everywhere so perfectly clear scenario. The diversion route on parallel main road is not particularly inconvenient to use.

This morning was second morning running I've entered barriered stretch (going in the correct one way direction) and toss brain on a road bike has come hell for leather (25 - 30mph) the wrong way (out of town) through the road works at me. Yesterday morning the passing point happened to be where I could pull into the mouth of a side road. This morning it wasn't - he had chance to pull over, but no, rode at me with no intention of slowing or deviating so forcing through a narrow and not very safe gap between my car and barriers.

So - if (by any chance) toss brain you are reading this, you know who you are (07:20ish this morning, in black, wearing sunglasses when its not sunny) and are evidently suicidal. People in the town don't seem to have a lot of time for cyclists and idiots like you aren't helping. When I'm cycling home from work I'm quite capable of using the diversion.

There. I feel better for that.

downfader

extimus uero philosophus
I dont blame you for getting annoyed tbh. Guy sounds like a prat, though its perhaps doubtful that he's a genuine roadie of any sort. Makes you wonder if he went into Halfords and went: "I want that one, and that one, and that one..!" ;)

I can understand the guy...in a way..or at least what makes him think that it is acceptable.

http://maps.google.co.uk/maps?oe=ut...=ukbXV8THejScuPw3MTvz2Q&cbp=12,253.51,,0,8.57

What is safe about this contra-flow? Nothing - only that it is made legal by signs and road markings. But if the road layout here says "hey, you're only on a bike, it's okay to ride against traffic" then the skewed message kind of filters down that if you're on a bike, it's okay.

Only used that contra-flow tonight, first time I've actually gone that way amd I headed down it guided by signs then thought "sh*t! I don't feel comfortable here"

Now I know, I will ignore it and use a different route, should I have cause to dash to the 24hr spar when my local 24hr spar has run out of beer!

downfader

extimus uero philosophus
Sheffield_Tiger said:
I can understand the guy...in a way..or at least what makes him think that it is acceptable.

http://maps.google.co.uk/maps?oe=ut...=ukbXV8THejScuPw3MTvz2Q&cbp=12,253.51,,0,8.57

What is safe about this contra-flow? Nothing - only that it is made legal by signs and road markings. But if the road layout here says "hey, you're only on a bike, it's okay to ride against traffic" then the skewed message kind of filters down that if you're on a bike, it's okay.

Only used that contra-flow tonight, first time I've actually gone that way amd I headed down it guided by signs then thought "sh*t! I don't feel comfortable here"

Now I know, I will ignore it and use a different route, should I have cause to dash to the 24hr spar when my local 24hr spar has run out of beer!

Porchester Rd in southampton is like that - contraflow for cyclists wanting a quieter route than Portsmouth Road towards the local bridge. I rode it twice this week for a change. You have to give way to cars quite a bit though.

marinyork

Resting in suspended Animation
Sheffield_Tiger said:

It was partially built for safety as such. It was made contraflow to compensate cyclists as they are penalised very heavily since the bit of Sharrow Vale Road near to it was made one way. This charming scheme that is to appease the car parking lobby means you for example either go up a steep 0.11 mile road and down, or cycle 0.4-0.5 miles round dumped on a main road, do a major roundabout or cycle 0.8 miles round to do a tiny stretch. Under the circumstances I think the council worker who thought it up has a keen eye for detail.

There is nothing particularly wrong with having contraflow without a dedicated lane, it is just that people have hang ups about the wrongly labelled "mandatory cycle lane" for other cases where it is applied.

OP
OP
domd1979

domd1979

Veteran
Sheffield_Tiger said:

It's one thing having a contraflow on a normal road, but these are road works where there are barriers down the middle of the road. The barriers aren't 100% straight so there isn't a consistent lane width and he has no escape route when he decides to charge at a car. He thinks its acceptable because he's an idiot. Putting aside the fact he is going the wrong way, he could just have slowed and given way for a few seconds but was too arrogant to even do that.

Top Bottom