onions with crunch

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

GlamorganGuy

Made a large batch of pickled onions in the autumn, which I tried last night. V. disappointed with the results - taste is great but onions are soft with no crunch. Anyone know where I'm going wrong? Used Sarson's and followed a recipe that always worked for my dad. Only change was that I omitted sugar because I prefer the flavour without it. Maybe that could have had an effect? Any picklers got

OP
OP
GlamorganGuy

GlamorganGuy

Made a large batch of pickled onions in the autumn, which I tried last night. V. disappointed with the results - taste is great but onions are soft with no crunch. Anyone know where I'm going wrong? Used Sarson's and followed a recipe that always worked for my dad. Only change was that I omitted sugar because I prefer the flavour without it. Maybe that could have had an effect? Any picklers got
...any advice?!

CanucksTraveller

Macho Business Donkey Wrestler
Are you dry salting them overnight before pickling? You ideally need to remove excess moisture before they go into the vinegar - rinse the salt off of course, prior to pickling. I believe Potassium Alum is used commercially to produce that crispness, but salting works as well.

OP
OP
GlamorganGuy

GlamorganGuy

Are you dry salting them overnight before pickling? You ideally need to remove excess moisture before they go into the vinegar - rinse the salt off of course, prior to pickling. I believe Potassium Alum is used commercially to produce that crispness, but salting works as well.
Cheers, I did salt but it's possible I didn't leave them long enough. Flavour hasn't suffered but texture definitely has. Learning to like slightly soggy onions, will actually be OK sliced in salads and sandwiches.

Paulus

Started young, and still going.
Cheers, I did salt but it's possible I didn't leave them long enough. Flavour hasn't suffered but texture definitely has. Learning to like slightly soggy onions, will actually be OK sliced in salads and sandwiches.
They really need at least 24 hours, then drain and wipe before putting them into the vinegar and pickling spices.

Mine have turned out very nicely, and small red chilli pepper has given them a bit of bite.:okay:

Top Bottom