Online computer / console gaming in your 60s?

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.
In my mid-60’s now, I’ve enjoyed console gaming on my PS4 for some time - mainly open-world games like GTA5 and Red Dead, mainly offline.

However, I also used to play Battlefield online a lot - probably 5-6 hours a week - and enjoyed it. My reaction times were not brilliant, so I tended to hang back from the battle front and pick my roles accordingly, but it was fun.

Last autumn though, when the PS5 came out, I let my PS Plus online subscription lapse. Over the past 12 months I haven’t played as much. Now I’m wondering on several fronts whether I should try to get back into the online side it. I’m trying to look at the positive and negatives.

On the plus side:
- it’s something I can chat about with my son-in-law who (PS5 and gaming PC owner) is a keen gamer
- I enjoyed the progression of getting better at the online game
- it’s something else hobby-wise to do while Mrs Beanz is busy with her own home-based hobbies, other than me playing guitar, gardening or watching tv

On the minus side:
- I’m not sure about upgrading to PS5 when the opportunity comes, partly because (being retired) of the expense. Yet my PS4 is a “last generation” console now, so I don’t know how busy the servers will be online
- PS Plus is going to cost me £30-ish p.a. during Black Friday “week” it seems, which is good as it’s normally nearly £50 - but it’s still £30 that I could be saving
- I begin to wonder - how many people in their 60’s regularly play fast-moving games online? I’m guessing as a pastime the slice of the online demographic can’t be huge?

On balance, I think I probably shall give it another go and see if it still entertains me, (and if I can still keep up!)

I’d love to hear what people think, and whether any of you who are my kind of age still enjoy online gaming.

twentysix by twentyfive

Clinging on tightly
I've not played such things although I did have a flight simulator on my PC (the flight simulator programme seems to have died - or the joystick). It's fun and I play at the level I choose. It's a dark evenings thing for me. Never play it otherwise. But it having stopped working I haven't played for a couple of winters.

£30 (or even £50) doesn't seem expensive for an annual subscription and the "old tech" PS4 might still work? Just need to log in to find out?

I now play on line chess but only with one other old fart (free!!). I suppose I could play the "bot" but I haven't so far.

CanucksTraveller

Macho Business Donkey Wrestler
I'm not quite that age but I'm allegedly a grown up, middle aged man and I have an online Nintendo subscription to play Mario Kart online. It's my daughter's console, she's more into Fortnite, but it becomes my Mario Kart machine after 9pm on a weekend. Pretty tragic really but I like the knockabout fun and the cutthroat tactics of MK. 😄

Gillstay

Über Member
I play PS4 as a way of getting work out of my head. Mainly Cyberpunk at the mo as its been updated. Gives me a good link to my son and various nephews. Especially if they are at the tricky stage when they just want to grunt at you. They will always play games and then start to talk to you.
My hands are knackered so i am slow and colour blindness doesn't help, but I am happy.

JtB

Prepare a way for the Lord
Santa brought an original Playstation for my son the first year they came out. My son then spent the following summer with his Spanish grandma leaving me at home to play on the Playstation every night. By the time he returned home I was cured and I never had the inclination ever again to play on any console.

Last edited:
OP
OP
beanzontoast
I play PS4 as a way of getting work out of my head. Mainly Cyberpunk at the mo as its been updated. Gives me a good link to my son and various nephews. Especially if they are at the tricky stage when they just want to grunt at you. They will always play games and then start to talk to you.
My hands are knackered so i am slow and colour blindness doesn't help, but I am happy.

Does seem to be a great bridge between the generations. My first gaming was on a Commodore Pet (my grown-up kids probably don’t know what one looks like!) but I have great memories of playing N64, MasterSystem, PS1 and PS2 games with them, not to mention a bunch of ancient PC games.

Sittingduck

Legendary Member
Kids these days will spawn kill as quick as flame you in chat. Depends on the game but it used to be easier to compete with 12 year olds’ reflexes. Don’t try PUBG, it is depressing how slow a middle aged noob is compared to these kids. At least in the BF series you can camp a bit… COD isn’t what it used to be either, like a flipping comic book these days. Just sayin’

things have changed a lot since N64 hours of fun with Goldeneye multiplayer split screen on the same TV. Don’t ask me how I know this…

cyberknight

As long as I breathe, I attack.
mid 50s and up till recently i was still playing an mmog on pc that is still going strong 10 years after the official servers shut now as free to play , more about team work than pvp i only stopped due to many personal reasons eating my time
https://downloads.digitaltrends.com/city-of-heroes-homecoming/windows

HMS_Dave

Grand Old Lady
I got back into it over the lock down period. I play on PC, but not very often really. Im into strategy/empire building games mostly. Not in my 60's but i can't think of a single reason why anybody can't play games at any age. There is a lady on Youtube by the name of Shirley Curry, who regularly uploads and plays games. She is 85 i believe... Fill ya boots i say.

Mid 50's here, love to game, just replaced xbox one with series s cos cant find an X anywhere. Only really play COD by myself (although enjoy Switch games with the 9yr old daughter). yeah my reactions may not be the quickest and I'm definitely in the bottom half of every game (lag I tell you, lag!!) but I really enjoy it and so will carry on :-)

icowden

Veteran
- I’m not sure about upgrading to PS5 when the opportunity comes, partly because (being retired) of the expense. Yet my PS4 is a “last generation” console now, so I don’t know how busy the servers will be online

At the moment they should be fine because:-
  • Not that much exclusive PS5 stuff
  • PS5s are very hard to get hold of due to chip shortage
  • PS5s are a lot bigger and uglier than a PS4
That said, I've never done online gaming on the PS4. The only "online" gaming I have done is Elite Dangerous on the PC where its's as much about camaraderie in deep space as winging up to attack megaships.

MrGrumpy

Huge Member
Now in my 50s , and was a complete nerd in my 40s. Xbox live COD and Battlefield gamer, was quite addictive or should I say got quite addicted :whistle: . Was also a massive WoW player as well. Now that was also very addictive. See a theme here :laugh: .

Anyway youngest was looking for an Xbox Series S. . Series X will be nigh on impossible to get till maybe next year or year after. Only difference seems to be 4k gaming . Anyone comment on that?

keithmac

Guru
I bought a Series X and used it 3 times, just couldn't be bothered.

There's a lot more to the X than just 4k vs the S, much more.

My lad has the X now, Forza 5 has just come out and it does look good!.

Top Bottom