Online computer / console gaming in your 60s?

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

welsh dragon

Thanks but no thanks. I think I'll pass.
Last year I bought Mr WD a Ps4 ad his old ps3 was past it's sell by date. He plays RED dead and others offline as hoards of kids swarmed the platforms and basically cheated with hacks. I won't be buying a ps5 anytime soon.

It's been years since I played. I liked Tomb Raider and Drakes fortune. I can't be bothered with it anymore.

It can be quite time consuming. You sit down for half an hour and the next minute 4 hours have whizzed by.:laugh:

Gillstay

Über Member
Slightly off topic but I'll ask for people's opinions anyway.

I've got spare cash to buy one thing nothing else. Do I buy myself a Nintendo switch with Minecraft and a more adult game so I can join in with my son more on Minecraft and a game more interesting for an adult? Or do I get a good smartwatch like fitbit sense, charge 5 or garmin vivoactive 4 ot instinct or other? Most are similar price.

Do people see the switch as a kid's gaming in which case I'm likely find the watch more useful? If its considered a good console too and I'll get a benefit having my own machine rather than playing docked with him I might find the switch a better option? I don't know enough about how switch users can play with other users like ps and xbox do online. I'll mostly only play with son as I'm not great at games these days.
If it means you interact with your son more its the Nintendo every time in my opinion. You both gain then. i am poor at the games as well, but i can chat to kids about them, surprise nephews and its an easy Xmas present this year for my son to get me a second hand game.

Johnno260

Veteran
When I used to play MMO games a good % of the guild I was in were late 50 to mid 60's.

MMO is a different pace so reaction times are less of an issue, may be look into some of these type of games if you're still interested.

PaulSB

Legendary Member
I don't do any gaming, the last time I played a game was "Abe's Odd World" - loved it but that was perhaps 25 years ago. Anyway I could do with some help. My son has Downs Syndrome and enjoys Supported Living in the Community. He loves to play Fifa and has every edition since the year dot. Recently he received FiFa 2022 as a birthday present. Initially this wouldn't run but after updating the console - a 4GB update - and the game a 3.75GB update - everything is running well.

When this Xbox was purchased I had to use my personal Microsoft Account to set it up. I had to log in to the MS account to do the updates. Everything has run well for years with my son signed out of the MS account. Since installing FiFa 2022 when he wants to play he is asked to sign in again. My son doesn't understand passwords and I'm not prepared to hand over the account details to his carers as this would potentially give them access to my MS account.

Any advice on how to run the Xbox without being signed in would be much appreciated.

OP
OP
beanzontoast
Just to add - I have ended up renewing my PSPlus a few days ago as there was an even better offer on for new/lapsed people like me. Got straight back into Battlefield 1 online (which had remembered all my progress, despite me uninstalling the game at one point in the last year), and was pleased - if surprised - to find that what skill I had had not deserted me. It took all of 5 minutes to recall the server selection process, how to change sides, how to flick through the stats, remember my favourite routes through the maps, etc.

I treated myself to the PS4 version of Battlefield 5 a while back and have played some of the offline campaign, but am saving going online with that until sometime on Christmas Day as a little present to myself!

I probably shall end up getting Battlefield 2042 in time, but when the price has dropped and some patching has happened.

I don't do any gaming, the last time I played a game was "Abe's Odd World" - loved it but that was perhaps 25 years ago. Anyway I could do with some help. My son has Downs Syndrome and enjoys Supported Living in the Community. He loves to play Fifa and has every edition since the year dot. Recently he received FiFa 2022 as a birthday present. Initially this wouldn't run but after updating the console - a 4GB update - and the game a 3.75GB update - everything is running well.

When this Xbox was purchased I had to use my personal Microsoft Account to set it up. I had to log in to the MS account to do the updates. Everything has run well for years with my son signed out of the MS account. Since installing FiFa 2022 when he wants to play he is asked to sign in again. My son doesn't understand passwords and I'm not prepared to hand over the account details to his carers as this would potentially give them access to my MS account.

Any advice on how to run the Xbox without being signed in would be much appreciated.
Set up an ms account through family option I think it's called. They get their own account and password but it's linked to your account in that you can control and limit it. My 9 year old plays on a Nintendo switch linked to his ms account which is linked to mine, one way as in I get control. He needed it to get the benefit of Minecraft and realms. Just an idea.

Sittingduck

Legendary Member
Just to add - I have ended up renewing my PSPlus a few days ago as there was an even better offer on for new/lapsed people like me. Got straight back into Battlefield 1 online (which had remembered all my progress, despite me uninstalling the game at one point in the last year), and was pleased - if surprised - to find that what skill I had had not deserted me. It took all of 5 minutes to recall the server selection process, how to change sides, how to flick through the stats, remember my favourite routes through the maps, etc.

I treated myself to the PS4 version of Battlefield 5 a while back and have played some of the offline campaign, but am saving going online with that until sometime on Christmas Day as a little present to myself!

I probably shall end up getting Battlefield 2042 in time, but when the price has dropped and some patching has happened.
I had the MS ultimate subscription for a year or so, but recently cancelled it Because of the unreliability of the EA launcher app. The only reason I shelled out for it was to get BF and other EA games via the bundled EA play feature. BF V is pretty good but don’t expect not to get immediately hammered online (like all FPS games nowadays). I downloaded 2042 open beta a cpl months ago but it was so nasty I haven’t been back after my 2 mins test of it. Good luck 😉

PaulSB

Legendary Member
Set up an ms account through family option I think it's called. They get their own account and password but it's linked to your account in that you can control and limit it. My 9 year old plays on a Nintendo switch linked to his ms account which is linked to mine, one way as in I get control. He needed it to get the benefit of Minecraft and realms. Just an idea.
Thank you. I will investigate later today.

OP
OP
beanzontoast
BF V is pretty good but don’t expect not to get immediately hammered online (like all FPS games nowadays).

I was shockingly bad when I first tried Battlefield 1 online. Partly it was using a controller to aim with, and partly just the speed at which things happened and lack of awareness of what was happening around me. Took me quite some time to improve to the point where I could survive for a while. Battlefield 5 will probably be like going back to square one!

cyberknight

As long as I breathe, I attack.
Back playing city of heroes again with plenty of free time,great if you are into the whole super hero thing without the whole ganking from PKers.another bonus is you can team with any level of player as the game classes you as a sidekick 1 level below the leader

Top Bottom