Online vendor for DT Swiss Alpine III spokes?

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Shut Up Legs

Down Under Member
I couldn't find DT Swiss Alpine III spokes for my upcoming (and first ever) wheel building project on CRC unfortunately, although they had various other DT Swiss spoke brands and models. I even emailed them, and they confirmed they didn't sell this particular model. Can any of you recommend a vendor for these spokes?

ianrauk

Tattooed Beat Messiah
hmmm.. you being in the Colonies and all.

Try Fatbirds and SingletrackBikes.
Both well known stores in the UK.
Drop them both a line to see if they ship to Aus.

OP
OP
Shut Up Legs

Shut Up Legs

Down Under Member
I got mine from Rose Bikes
I checked out what Rose Bikes had to offer, and have a few wheel building novice questions:
  1. What nipple length do I need to select? They seem to be available in 12, 14 or 16mm. My rims will be DT Swiss TK540 touring rims, if that's any help.
  2. Do I also need to order anything for the hub ends of the spokes? The Harris Cyclery site mentioned that sometimes 2mm washers are used, but that they're only sometimes necessary.
  3. I haven't finished trying out the different spoke length calculators yet, but I was wondering if it's common to use lacing patterns requiring spokes of various different lengths in the one wheel?

OP
OP
Shut Up Legs

Shut Up Legs

Down Under Member
Spokes ordered from Rose Bikes :smile:. I selected the 12mm nipple lengths (I feel so dirty saying that). I ordered the tools and parts from CRC, so now just have to wait :hyper:.

I like Skol

A Minging Manc...
Spokes ordered from Rose Bikes :smile:. I selected the 12mm nipple lengths (I feel so dirty saying that). I ordered the tools and parts from CRC, so now just have to wait :hyper:.
The nipple length is usually specified by the rim manufacturer although I believe 12mm to be the normal default choice. Did the spoke calculator have an option for stating nipple length because this does have a small impact on the length of spoke required.

OP
OP
Shut Up Legs

Shut Up Legs

Down Under Member
The nipple length is usually specified by the rim manufacturer although I believe 12mm to be the normal default choice. Did the spoke calculator have an option for stating nipple length because this does have a small impact on the length of spoke required.
Yes, it did, actually, but I left it blank, because I didn't know what length I needed. Hopefully the spokes I ordered will be the right lengths. When I have the time, I'll redo the calculation, to see what difference it makes.

Top Bottom