Oohhh get you!!!

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

HelenD123

Legendary Member
Trust your gut instinct. You gave him an interview despite him having no experience. He's had his chance.

swee'pea99

Legendary Member
Then again...

You did say that apart from that one 'slip' (?) you quite liked him. I'd say it depends on your alternatives - if you have other candidates who seem better, so be it. If not, a 3 month trial lets you see what he's really made off at very low risk.

Then again...

A track record of three month stints following a degree earned 7 years back is unpromising to say the least.

Ultimately, as others have said, you must follow your gut instinct...and with a heavy heart I'd come down on the side of 'if you felt something was basically not right, you're almost certainly right'.

Arch

Married to Night Train
snapper_37 said:
He's not a first timer. In fact, he's about a 9th timer - the degree was gained 7 years ago. That's why I was surprised at the attitude tbh.

I've just got a gut feeling something isn't right.

He's not had a job for more than three months, in 7 years? Assuming this isn't because he's spent all that time temping, there's gotta be a reason for that. I'd start with arrogance...

Is his degree subject relevant? Even if it is, in 7 years, I expect it to be a bit out of date, if it was vocational at all.

vernon

Harder than Ronnie Pickering
Some folk needa long runway to take off.....

Gut feelings can serve well but they can also do someone a disservice. The last headteacher of my school had a knack of picking the unlikeliest of people from a list of candidates. He sometimes got it wrong but mostly got it right. In many instances they were not the best match for the posts on offer but went on to demonstrate their worth.

It is easy to offer advice about someone that you've never met. I'd hesitate to offer a definitive answer. However a pros and cons listing activity might bring the mind to focus on the dilemma and hasten a rational decision.

Interviewing is a challenging activity and I am so glad that I no longer have a role where interviewing prospective employees is necessary.

thomas

the tank engine
snapper_37 said:
But ..... he announced what salary he is looking for (fair dos) but then went out to say he expects to get paid more than my other peeps because of the degree. ;)

I think it is a fairly common assumption. Personally, I might try and negotiate for a salary but there are ways of going about it.

For my usual holiday work I put an advert on gumtree saying I was looking for IT work and that I wanted a minimum wage of £6.50 (in a few more words, with more details...obviously). I got an offer of a quid more per hour, then at the 'interview' (I had the job, just went to meet the chap) he said he'd pay my lunch break, as long as I wasn't silly, so I did quite a bit better. Can't fuss, hopefully there will be some work over summer! :rolleyes:

My Dad used to be a manager for a council and said a lot of graduates expected to go in and manage people who'd been in the job for ages without any experience of the job.

Personally, I'd hope that if I look for a job* when I graduate I would go in at a higher position and wage than someone who didn't go to UNI*. I do believe that experience can be as good as a degree though. Lots of factors.

*If only because I'd rather work for myself and have some ground work in place for this.

*I don't want that to sound big headed as it's not meant like that....I do enjoy uni and glad I've gone and do hope that it puts me in a better position for a well paying, enjoyable job.

bauldbairn

snapper_37 said:
I've just got a gut feeling something isn't right.

Yeah! Him.

threebikesmcginty said:
How about getting him in on the pretence of a second interview and then humiliating him just for a bit of sport. :laugh:

:wacko: - :biggrin:

OP
OP
snapper_37

snapper_37

Barbara Woodhouse's Love Child
fossyant said:
I'd have binned him with the attitude...........GONE !

Have done.

In fact, I'm trialling a lovely young lady with no bits of paper but a great attitude, quick and willing to learn and a nice personality. :laugh:

ASC1951

Guru
It's a tricky one.

We all like to think that we have the knack of interviewing diligently and objectively and winkling out the right candidate by some infallible instinct. But as InterviewMeister I soon found that, whatever sifting process we had, the occasional stinker still got through.

The critical part of the whole process is the trialling, as Snapper says. You have to see that as the second stage of selection and if, after three months or whatever, you realise you have made a mistake, you absolutely have to do something about it.

That's the bit I always hated. It's one thing to reject someone at interview, it's far worse when you have got to know them or even like them and it's going to be there like a coffee ring on their CV.

I am Spartacus

Über Member
snapper_37 said:
Some may remember my thread in regard to degrees last week.

Well, I interviewed the young man yesterday (with the 2:2 but didn't seem to have been able to hold a job down for more than 3 months at a time).

He's been out of work since July (tut tut, little white lie there on the CV) so on the rock and roll. Won't hold that against him as it's tough out there.

He's got zilch, zero, nada experience in a role or even a similar role to that advertised. Won't hold that against him as training available.

But ..... he announced what salary he is looking for (fair dos) but then went out to say he expects to get paid more than my other peeps because of the degree. :cheers:

Isnt that how all management accountants start off in life?
Point him towrds the Accenture offices.. they really know how to assess a young man's abilities

HobbesChoice

snapper_37 said:
Have done.

In fact, I'm trialling a lovely young lady with no bits of paper but a great attitude, quick and willing to learn and a nice personality. :laugh:

Hi snapper,

Good to hear it all seems to be working out well for you filling that position now.

Wheeledweenie

Über Member
It's very difficult now that everyone seems to have a degree. I didn't go to uni for various reasons and instead worked in a low-paid starter job for a couple of years to gain experience. None of the graduates they interviewed was willing to take it. I was willing to work long hours, grabbed every piece of work I could and I actively made myself useful so that people would teach me things. A few years later I regularly manage people with degrees because after a couple of years it doesn't really matter any more.

Top Bottom