Oops - I did it again! Optima Lynxx

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Falco Frank

Über Member
No bent in my garage at all prompted lots of searching.

I really, REALLY fancy a low racer but offering to px my trike for racer prompted no replies at all and sadly, for the meantime they are also above what I can comfortably afford for the meantime.

The real driver is that my fitness is at an all time low and my Toxy-TT was the only bike I've had in years that got me out cycling. My Trike was fun but in reality, I think I enjoyed working on it more than riding it.

Enter a Optima Lynxx, I'm hoping with a lighter frame than Toxy, a similar design but with a larger rear wheel and a more comfortable seat with a substantial rack system.

Of course, fun learning and modding times are ahead but I have to collect the ride first!

36753347521_38915c16c5_b.jpg

gavroche

Getting old but not past it
Forgive me for asking as I am not familiar with such devices but the pedals seem to be very close to the handlebars, or is it just the picture? :sad:
Good luck with your search anyway.:hello:

OP
OP
Falco Frank

Falco Frank

Über Member
So, my new Steed is safely home and I've even managed a quick ride after a cursory check over. All up weight is quiet a bit lighter than my Avatar pic 'Toxy'. Good news is that pedalling is much easier than my previous two-wheeler, not sure if this due to gearing, improved drive line or the larger rear wheel?
Down side is that the steering is SOOO nervous, going to have to do some checking in this area, pronto!

My 3 hour drive back home provided plenty of time to choose a suitable name for the Optima and so, to remind me of the lovely place I collected the bike from, 'Heriot', seems very appropriate. Cheers

OP
OP
Falco Frank

Falco Frank

Über Member
So, a few very short test rides and sessions to get used to the ride and tailor the fit...

Really pleased with quality; stainless steel fasteners everywhere, enclosed front mech cable run and good 22/34/42 front gearing. light holder and nice Alloy to polish...

36452457163_147514c423_b.jpg

Bars are taking some getting used to but SO adjustable, for height as well, when I get around to it:

36869111720_bed6dc2d7c_b.jpg
[

Chainline is so simple, yet so smooth - only problem so far is that I thought the seat back would be high enough to use as a head rest but, it isn't - longer rides needed to see how my neck fares!

36452453883_5404a8f398_b.jpg

Ciao!

I've been looking into the Optima lynxx but there's not many reviews or indeed information out there about them. What's your opinion on them as a first time recumbent?

I've found one for what seems a good price but I've noticed Optima stopped producing recumbents for a while. Until 2016 according to what I've read but it's 2017 and I've not seen anything about them restarting production. They originally said they'd start up with a streamlined range and new models.

Anyone got any views or more info on the company? Is it a risk buying an Optima recumbent if the company doesn't exist? Spares, etc.?

The only real non standard part on a recumbent is the frame.
All other bits are either standard bike bits or for the other non standard bits (pulleys and seat) you can bodge to fit from another recumbent if needed.
So if the frames in good order, go for it ....... ^_^

Top Bottom