Oops I've just bought a Telescope!

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.
Went shopping in Derby in the sales earlier with Little V and Mrs V and our normal practice is to split up and take it in turns to have Little V with us, whilst I was 'going solo' armed with my Christmas work bonus and a bit of Pressie money.. and I was not being inspired by clothes and didn't really need anything cycling related (and the bonus wasn't bike sized) I spotted a telescope in the sales.... after a quick reality check with Mrs V (due to the size of it rather than the cost) I bought it.

I have achieved a lifelong ambition to own a decent (ish) telescope rather than the tiny toy type ones I've had.

Technical spec is 700mm x 76mm Reflector scope, there was a slightly more expensive 900mm Refractor in the frame but opted for the brighter image a reflector gives it comes with 2 different strength eye pieces and a 3X Barlow lens... here it is and please if there are any serious astronomers on cc please dont slag it off too much!

Hope the cloud clears the ISS is coming overhead tomorrow morning.

Edit: it was by the way bought totally on impulse.... This morning the idea wasn't anywhere in my head...

Last edited:

Drago

Legendary Member
The scope is probably ok, but for anything more than the most casual of viewing you'll need an equatorial mount.

Love Drago Farquhar, BSc (planetary studies), MSc (celestial mechanics).

OP
OP
simon the viking
The scope is probably ok, but for anything more than the most casual of viewing you'll need an equatorial mount.

Love Drago Farquhar, BSc (planetary studies), MSc (celestial mechanics).

The tripod on the refractor was better with degrees on the mount and a (gimbal?) weight but it took it slightly out of 'On a whim' into 'Serious Consideration' territory.....

OP
OP
simon the viking
As op this thread is thread is already going way above my head (like the stars are.... lol) downloading a compass to my phone.... (got a real one somewhere but can't find it) ready for the morning if the cloud clears...

Top Bottom