Open to Offas Ride

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

pubrunner

Legendary Member
I've decided to tentatively organise a ride from Trefonen - a few miles West of Oswestry in Shropshire. Start will be about 50 yards from Offa's Dyke and will criss-cross the dyke (& the lesser-known Wat's Dyke) a number of times.

I'm looking at it being on a Saturday in August or early September - 11th, 18th, 25th August, or 1st September. Please let me know preferred dates - so that I can arrange the weather. Suggestions only from those likely to attend. Meet 10 am - my house (Free parking ^_^). The nearest railway station is Gobowen - 6 or 7 miles away.

Start time will be to suit attendees, but I'd imagine that it would be 10 - 10.30 am (ish).

The route will be about 45 miles (Max.) and will be scenic; there will be a cafe stop and at least one pub stop.

I'd be very pleased to see anyone who can make it; I'd especially like to extend a warm invite (genuinely) to my old chums SRW, User482 & Dell !. It would be great if they turned up. Perhaps Patrick will attend :whistle: - since it ain't far from Llangollen.

If required, riders can stay over the night before or the night after the ride - so no feeble excuses that the ride might be too far away for you. Sadly, I don't live in a pub anymore, but we've room to put up a few people - sofa beds and one spare room. I might even put a tent up in the back garden - feel free to bring your own tent, yurt or campervan.

After the ride, there will be plenty of cake (home-made by Mrs Pub) etc. back at my place; oh yes, if you turn up early on the day, I'll even give you a good breakfast.

Importantly, I've an ample supply of booze available for afterwards and there is a home-brew pub just 200 yards away from my house.

The ride will be in an area of the country that is usually overlooked; most tourists tend to rush up the A5 on the way to Snowdonia. There will be a few hills - but nothing to worry about; the roads are well-surfaced and will be quiet.

Hopefully, someone (please) will turn up !

Banjo

Fuelled with Jelly Babies
I can see this being an event that will become the stuff of Legends passed down through future generations of cc ers. I definitely will do my best to be there even if it means driving up and back same day. The 11th looks the most favourable for me but unfortunately I can't be defiunite about it but fingers and everything crossed.

OP
OP
pubrunner

pubrunner

Legendary Member
I definitely will do my best to be there even if it means driving up and back same day. .

Oh yes, if need be, I've 3 or 4 bikes than could be loaned out for the day, if required; I've also got a tandem - it'd do rather nicely, for yourself and LD. :thumbsup:

OP
OP
pubrunner

pubrunner

Legendary Member
I definitely will do my best to be there even if it means driving up and back same day. .

Oh yes, if need be, I've 3 or 4 bikes than could be loaned out for the day, if required; I've also got a tandem - it'd do rather nicely, for yourself and LD. :thumbsup:

I'd be up for this. I think the 11th is OK for me, might be the only date that isn't but such is life. 60 miles eh. Might actually have to do some prior cycling this time. And no hills of significance you say, this coming from a bloke who casually climbed up a 25% hill after having denied he was cycling fit before we set off, right!

OP
OP
pubrunner

pubrunner

Legendary Member
. . . . . . . on my Settle forum ride last year! ;)

Is there going to be a Settle ride this year ???

Why not venture down this way ? (And bring some of the guys with you)

ColinJ

Puzzle game procrastinator!
Is there going to be a Settle ride this year ???

Why not venture down this way ? (And bring some of the guys with you)
I think that Settle rerun will have to wait until next year, or at the very least until late summer. I wasn't fit enough for it in 2011 and I am worse this year. Who knows though - perhaps the rain will go away and I will suddenly regain my long-lost mojo? Two months of solid riding would sort me out but my attitude really isn't right at the moment.

Your ride sounds great but unless someone up here volunteers to drive us down for the day, I won't be able to make it. My travel budget for the year was used up on my recent Midlands trip.

Anyway - I hope you get a good day for it!

Oh - I might organise a 100 km ride from Hebden Bridge in July, in case you are interested. Details in a separate thread nearer the time.

BrumJim

Forum Stalwart (won't take the hint and leave...)
Tempted, but I'll have to wait with regards to availability. Also have to check for Olympic tickets. I think that we might be watching the athletics on 11th August.

OP
OP
pubrunner

pubrunner

Legendary Member
Oh - I might organise a 100 km ride from Hebden Bridge in July, in case you are interested. Details in a separate thread nearer the time.

Yes, let me know about it . . . . . . . . perhaps I'll be able to persuade some of the guys to come up to Yorkshire with me.

I might be able to do this, or at least some of it. I will get busy on the logistics...

If it helps and I'm able to do this ride, still checking yet, if you can get to Chester or somewhere North of Oswestry, assuming trains here, I can pick you up on my way past. There's probably other permutations as well.

Top Bottom