Opening gates, preferably elegantly

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

swansonj

Guru
There's one particular gate on a bridle path on my summer commute. I come up to it, stop with front wheel touching it, stretch forward so I can just reach and open the latch, give the gate an almighty push to fling it as wide open as possible, give an equally almighty push on the pedal, and hope to get far enough past the gate before the vicious spring return causes it to clip my rear wheel.

It feels very inelegant.

Milkfloat

An Peanut
mikeordonezfenceair.jpg

Katherine

Guru
There's one particular gate on a bridle path on my summer commute. I come up to it, stop with front wheel touching it, stretch forward so I can just reach and open the latch, give the gate an almighty push to fling it as wide open as possible, give an equally almighty push on the pedal, and hope to get far enough past the gate before the vicious spring return causes it to clip my rear wheel.

It feels very inelegant.
I have to go through a side gate to cross the school playground.
Leaning forward to open the latch, push it forwards, ride through, try and reach the gate, pull it closed, back up slightly to reach the sliding catch without falling off...
- equally inelegant!

I like Skol

A Minging Manc...
Doesn't sound like a bridleway gate, more like a footpath type installation. Are you sure of the path status?

If it is a bridleway then it might be worth contacting the local council R-o-W officer to inform them of the unsuitable infrastructure.

In the meantime if it is elegance you are looking for then i suggest you dismount and pass through the gate the sensible way.

Katherine

Guru
You should try doing all that from on board a horse! Gates drop on their hinges, farmers put massive lumps of metal on them so they self-close (understandable when people leave them open and stock escapes), the gate swells up and sticks. Your horse gets whacked on the hocks by a gate a couple of times and learns that gates hurt, so barges through them without realising that it's excruciating when your kneecap makes contact with a metal hasp. That or your stirrup leather gets caught and ends up left behind hanging on the gate while you and your horse go careering off down the bridleway, regain control, and have to go back for it. At least if you get off your bike to open a gate the bike will not wander off or pull you over, and you don't have to climb on the gate or a tree stump to get back on again. All this is most true.
I think I can just imagine!
Yes, I hadn't appreciated how convenient it is that a bike doesn't pedal off without you!

Globalti

Legendary Member
As a child I grew up with a neutral attitude to hunting. One fine day though as a teenager I found myself at a five-barred gate at the same time as a hunt. The master pointed his whip at me and ordered me: "Boy! Open the gate!"

Like a fool I obeyed the imperious old snob, waded through a seething mass of excited hounds and opened the gate. It coloured my attitude to hunting and today I doubt I would do the same if ordered in that manner.

OP
OP
swansonj

swansonj

Guru
You should try doing all that from on board a horse! Gates drop on their hinges, farmers put massive lumps of metal on them so they self-close (understandable when people leave them open and stock escapes), the gate swells up and sticks. Your horse gets whacked on the hocks by a gate a couple of times and learns that gates hurt, so barges through them without realising that it's excruciating when your kneecap makes contact with a metal hasp. That or your stirrup leather gets caught and ends up left behind hanging on the gate while you and your horse go careering off down the bridleway, regain control, and have to go back for it. At least if you get off your bike to open a gate the bike will not wander off or pull you over, and you don't have to climb on the gate or a tree stump to get back on again. All this is most true.
A recent episode of The Archers featured Debbie and Alice going for a ride, and did actually include the interruptions to the conversation caused by the mechanics of getting through gates.

Oldfentiger

Veteran
As a child I grew up with a neutral attitude to hunting. One fine day though as a teenager I found myself at a five-barred gate at the same time as a hunt. The master pointed his whip at me and ordered me: "Boy! Open the gate!"

Like a fool I obeyed the imperious old snob, waded through a seething mass of excited hounds and opened the gate. It coloured my attitude to hunting and today I doubt I would do the same if ordered in that manner.
Reminded me of this.......

View: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=IciZXalxSus

Top Bottom