Opening gates, preferably elegantly

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.
OP
OP
swansonj

swansonj

Guru
Doesn't sound like a bridleway gate, more like a footpath type installation. Are you sure of the path status?

If it is a bridleway then it might be worth contacting the local council R-o-W officer to inform them of the unsuitable infrastructure.

In the meantime if it is elegance you are looking for then i suggest you dismount and pass through the gate the sensible way.
upload_2018-7-27_12-55-50.png

It's a bridlepath - it comes along a private road then cuts across a field at the gate marked by the red pointer.

The whole area - road, fields, farm which is now light industrial-cum-artisan units - is owned by a private estate. They actually keep it in very good order and it would seem churlish to complain about a gate that does, after all, open. I'll keep my complaints for Sustrans paths where you end up lifting tandems over locked gates....

I have to go through a side gate to cross the school playground.
Leaning forward to open the latch, push it forwards, ride through, try and reach the gate, pull it closed, back up slightly to reach the sliding catch without falling off...
- equally inelegant!
All that whilst remaining clipped in ?;)

Katherine

Guru
All that whilst remaining clipped in ?;)
One foot down. It's sort of on a slope! Occasionally, someone careless has left it open and I can spin up and straight through the gate to the front door- where I do have to get off,! let myself in and sign in - unless, very occasionally either someone sees me coming and opens the door or it's wedged open for deliveries, then I can carry on down the corridor to the boiler room! (actually once!) I have to hold my bike with one hand (so it doesn't pedal off without me) and access the digital sign-in with the other.)

Randomnerd

Bimbleur
Rolling front dismount to non drive hand, sylph-like steed up on right shoulder as left hand dextrously unlatches the obstacle. Pirouette through the opening clockwise, and, with trailing leg, kick the fixture securely into place (as though you were scoring a penalty in ballet pumps) all the while maintaining impetus to remount the now rolling machine like a mayfly might balance on a bullrush.

@13 rider is the expert at opening gates.

I read this thread purely to check for this comment! :okay:

Top Bottom