Opinions on Boardman CX Team?

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

park1

Just wondering if anyone has any experience on the 2016 Boardman CX Team? I have a weekend road bike so this would be for commuting and a bit of gravel trail type riding (nothing too off the beaten path). I like the idea of a 1x system for pure simplicity. I'm not planning on doing any long rides on it, I would say 99% will be around the hour mark or less, so not too bothered about weight. I currently use a single speed for the 5 mile commute but would like some gears for those nice summer evenings when the cycle home from work can be extended or the horrendous winter head winds when cycling on the flat feels like a 20% hill (these are the same winds that always disappear for the journey home when you should have a tail wind!) I don't use panniers and am not bothered about mud guards as I use the zefal Swan/cruzer clip ons which work fine for me. Budget is around the £1000 mark.
Would be interested in any opinions on anything similar.
Thank you.

Last edited:
You might struggle for advice on this one as, with it being such a new model, I doubt many people on here have ridden one.

Is my memory playing tricks or have they reduced it by £100 already? I'm sure it was on for £999 last month...maybe just me.

If it helps, I picked up last year's CX Team for just over £500 and it is a decent bike at that money. I would have been seriously underwhelmed if I had paid £900 for it. The main issues being the wheels (which ride a bit like millstones - if you are Fred Flintstone you might enjoy this aspect) and the brakes (BB5 - rubbish and very faffy).
I see the new version, along with it's much more workaday colour scheme (the silver finish on the 2015 is lovely), has the same wheels, so you might be looking at an upgrade in the near future there. But it has Rival hydro brakes, which by all accounts are excellent and virtually maintenance-free. I assume the frame remains the same. If so I have no issues with mine, though it's not as nice to ride as steel.
If mudguards are important maybe take a closer look as there's not a lot of clearance if you're keeping the 35mm knobblies on.
It probably wouldn't be my choice, but £810 looks good value (assuming the 10% off if you join British Cycling) for a CX with full Rival 1 hydro kit. Beware of very mixed build-skills and customer service levels at Halfords stores though.
They should let you take one for a spin around the car-park at least if you ask (not that it's any way to judge how a bike will be to live with, but better than nothing).
Sorry I can't be more help,
Andy

MrGrumpy

Huge Member
They did have 10% off in fact still on it now. Personally I think there maybe better options for what you are after. Not that this is a bad bike but it's defo more for CX than for anything else . 1 X systems seem to be popular on race days, from what I've seen .

OP
OP
park1

park1

Cheers Andy. Went and threw my leg over the Boardman in the local halfords. Not sure about the sizing for me, plus not so keen on the pf30 bb. Am now looking at the cube cross race pro and planet x London Road. Down side to the cube (for me) is the 2x11 shimano 105 and the London Road has drop outs and not thru axles. Lots to think about.

MrGrumpy

Huge Member
For cross /off road PF30 probably not ideal. As for the Cube Cross Race Pro, what don`t you like about the 2 x 11 Shimano 105 ? Interested to know so i can give my own opinion as I am a current owner. As for through axles ( Cube doesn`t have these ) what is the big deal ?? If anything it could limit you if you swap wheels between bikes !

OP
OP
park1

park1

Hi Mr G, re the gearing I was keen on the 1x11 for pure simplicity. I know 2x11 is hardly complicated but I just like the look of the set up. Plus the Boardman runs a 44 chain ring with a 10-42 cassette which gives a wider range than a 46/36 and an 11-28. As I won't be racing I'm not bothered about the inevitable big jumps in gearing.
Re thru axles it is just what I've picked up on the Web, apparently they are stiffer and help with disc alignment? Please let me know if that is total BS or only applies to heavy weights doing serious down hill stuff. Thanks for pointing out that the cube has drops out, I didn't pick that up.

MrGrumpy

Huge Member
Decent spec indeed maybe would of plumped for it if it had been out in fact if I had known I would of held off on my C2W to at least consider it. Always Severn value just not convinced about 1x gearing.
As for through axles I would not base my choice on that , I'm not exactly a lightweight and I can't get the front to flex on my cube ??!!

SpokeyDokey

67, & my GP says I will officially be old at 70!
Cheers Andy. Went and threw my leg over the Boardman in the local halfords. Not sure about the sizing for me, plus not so keen on the pf30 bb. Am now looking at the cube cross race pro and planet x London Road. Down side to the cube (for me) is the 2x11 shimano 105 and the London Road has drop outs and not thru axles. Lots to think about.

@park1

Cube Cross Race Pro is already sold out for 2016 in certain sizes - I wanted to try a 53 last weekend and they have all gone. The strange world of cycle production.

MrGrumpy

Huge Member
Yes indeed lucky to actually find a 59 in stock or in fact any dealer to actually have one to look at !

FYI Scott are just releasing their 2016 CX bikes late to the party !

Top Bottom