Opinions on Garmin Varia

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

clockworksimon

Über Member
I have hearing impairment so use the Varia plus a mirror. Besides having assistance in knowing what’s behind, I really appreciate that the light itself reacts to vehicles behind. The light intensity and flashing/pulses increase to make you more visible. After 5 months with mine, I almost feel I could not ride on roads without it.
Have bought saddle rail Garmin mounts and then attached these to rear of my Topeak saddle packs to allow the Varia to be maximally visible and easy to move between bikes. The mounts were bought from Amazon.

Last edited:

Mike_P

Guru
Last edited:

Dogtrousers

Kilometre nibbler
If there's one real shortcoming of the Varia it's the mount. Basically it's seat-post or nothing. Want to mount it somewhere else? You are on your own.

I bodged my own mount for my rack out of a dodgy eBay quarter turn mount plus nuts and bolts. It's very ugly but it works.

Emanresu

Basically it's seat-post or nothing. Want to mount it somewhere else? You are on your own.

Agree but .... managed to get a 3D printed mount made (£15) so I can mount it on a trunk bag which would have hidden the seat post.

I bodged my ow

Bodged, or fettled or engineered? You might be being too modest.

If there's one real shortcoming of the Varia it's the mount. Basically it's seat-post or nothing. Want to mount it somewhere else? You are on your own.

I bodged my own mount for my rack out of a dodgy eBay quarter turn mount plus nuts and bolts. It's very ugly but it works.

There's mounts for it to go on the saddle rails. Very neat. That's what I use.

Mike_P

Guru
Agree but .... managed to get a 3D printed mount made (£15) so I can mount it on a trunk bag which would have hidden the seat post.
I have tried 3D mounts and none have lasted long. Thankfully the Varia survived it's encounters with tarmac landing out of the way of car wheel paths.

Dogtrousers

Kilometre nibbler
There's mounts for it to go on the saddle rails. Very neat. That's what I use.

I don't think Garmin make them do they? I did try an after-market saddle mount but it was rubbish and didn't work, at least not with my saddle. That's not to say there aren't some good ones out there. Maybe I just bought a duff one.

I don't think Garmin make them do they? I did try an after-market saddle mount but it was rubbish and didn't work, at least not with my saddle. That's not to say there aren't some good ones out there. Maybe I just bought a duff one.

It's not Garmin but it's done 1000 miles since I got it. Mate got one for his bike too and that's been fine.

I've used one of these 3D printed ones for something in the order of 20-30,000km so far and it's neither moved nor broken. It tucks up very neatly under the saddle, on the rails immediately behind the clamp (so you do need about 10mm of saddle rail behind where the saddle is clamped).
https://add3dparts.com/producto/soporte-luz-radar-garmin-varia-rtl-510/

I've used others which clamp to the rails too, and which cost less, but they're not as stable, secure or neat. I have one of these, for example, and it's fine but needs to be quite tight on the rails and simply isn't as neat as the Add3D Parts one.
View: https://www.amazon.co.uk/LICHIFIT-Bicycle-Support-Seat-post-Rearview/dp/B0832LRC69

geocycle

Legendary Member
Mine goes on the saddlebag. It works fine even though it must swing around a bit. I used cable ties rather than the Garmin rubber rings.

IMG_20230106_105156672.jpeg

IMG_20230106_103714626_HDR.jpeg

IMG_0388.jpeg

Top Bottom