Opinions on Garmin Varia

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Slick

Guru
I've used one of these 3D printed ones for something in the order of 20-30,000km so far and it's neither moved nor broken. It tucks up very neatly under the saddle, on the rails immediately behind the clamp (so you do need about 10mm of saddle rail behind where the saddle is clamped).
https://add3dparts.com/producto/soporte-luz-radar-garmin-varia-rtl-510/

I've used others which clamp to the rails too, and which cost less, but they're not as stable, secure or neat. I have one of these, for example, and it's fine but needs to be quite tight on the rails and simply isn't as neat as the Add3D Parts one.
View: https://www.amazon.co.uk/LICHIFIT-Bicycle-Support-Seat-post-Rearview/dp/B0832LRC69
From a purely visual point of view the Amazon one looks better to me.

I know your not particularly impressed by it, but is it worth getting?

From a purely visual point of view the Amazon one looks better to me.

I know your not particularly impressed by it, but is it worth getting?
It's more that I actively like the 3D printed one than that I don't like the other one. The latter is certainly worth getting and works well. It's more flexible - I mean in terms of which saddles it can be fitted to - too, in that it can be fitted to a variety of rail spacings, whereas the 3D printed one is very much 'only at the seat clamp width spacing'. So long as the Amazon one is done up snugly, I've found it to stay in place reliably and it's easy to modify the angle of the Varia mount to get it pointing directly backwards.

The thing I like about the 3D printed one is that the bulk of the thing is very much tucked up under the saddle, above the rails, so all you see is the Varia mount poking down. With the other one, you see the whole clamp, sitting on the rails at the back. Clearly, this is all very picky stuff!

My comment above about the Amazon one being less solid, or something to that effect, is based on one instance of one of them working loose, but I didn't fit that one and it wasn't on my bike so I can't vouch for quite what happened there. (It didn't fall off. It just became loose and rattled, so no harm done.)

ianbarton

Veteran
Hello everyone,
as the title indicates, does anyone have any experience of using these? I found on an internet trawl that some people seem to be quite passionate about them when they’ve bought them (game changes, can’t live without it etc etc etc) whilst others don’t see the point (buy a mirror, gives you info you can’t use etc etc). It seems to be quite a polarising product!
Any views here from users (or non users). I’m thinking it may be good for commuting but in heavy traffic it will just keep bleeping. I personally think it will be most useful on the weekend country road ride where there isn’t much traffic and you can be taken by surprise?
Opinions appreciated!

I have had mine for a few years now. Most of my rides are on narrow country lanes and it's very useful to alert you to vehicles coming up behind. I glance back to see if it's a car or a large lorry. If it's something wide like a lorry or tractor pulling a big trailer I can decide if it can pass me safely, or I can stop, pull into the side and let it pass me. In not-so-busy towns and villages, I can get a warning that something is going to overtake me. I agree that on very busy roads it's not that useful.

johnnyb47

Guru
I'm really tempted to buy one of these..
It's just the cost that's putting me off.Looking at all the reviews from here and various web sites they all give positive feedback and virtually every one says they wouldn't be without one.. Halfords said today they would do a price match of £130 if I was interested

berty bassett

Legendary Member
My opinion having had one about year ago - I live in quiet area so very helpful - tells you how fast the buggers are coming up behind you , if it goes nuts and turns purple , brace yourself !
No substitute for looking over shoulder when turning right just incase cos sometimes one sneaks through
Wouldn’t bother if in a built up area as it will send you nuts beeping all the time and guess battery on everything would suffer but out of all the gimmicks you can get for bike I this this is one of the better ones to spend money on especially if you can get it cheaper

I'm really tempted to buy one of these..
It's just the cost that's putting me off.Looking at all the reviews from here and various web sites they all give positive feedback and virtually every one says they wouldn't be without one.. Halfords said today they would do a price match of £130 if I was interested

Have you got any pals with one ? If so you can hook onto their radar and go for a ride to see what you think.

johnnyb47

Guru
After reading all the positive posts here, temptation got the better of my tonight and I bought one from Halfords.There selling them for £169 but I got it down to £130 as they price matched it against Tredz.
Should be arriving this Friday.
Alot of my cycling is down quiet roads or lanes were cars seem to creep up on you unnoticed.
I either hold them up unwittingly not aware there behind me or I jump out of my skin when I see them.
With Electric cars becoming a common sight on our roads , that doesn't help matters much either as there so quiet.
Buses sometimes catch me out to.The engines in them are often tucked away at the back making them very quiet when there behind you.
Looking forward to Friday now👍

Mike_P

Guru
Contrary to a lot of comments I find it useful on busy roads especially where you have a choice of routes to take off them as you know when it likely to be easier to make a right when it suddenly goes green on the Garmin/Wahoo.

After reading all the positive posts here, temptation got the better of my tonight and I bought one from Halfords.There selling them for £169 but I got it down to £130 as they price matched it against Tredz.
Alot of my cycling is down quiet roads or lanes were cars seem to creep up on you unnoticed.
I either hold them up unwittingly not aware there behind me or I jump out of my skin when I see them.
With Electric cars becoming a common sight on our roads , that doesn't help matters much either as there so quiet.
Buses sometimes catch me out to.The engines in them are often tucked away at the back making them very quiet when there behind you.

You won’t regret it 👍🏻

Slick

Guru

Just don't rely on it, as whilst they are useful, its amazing what they can miss.

Mike_P

Guru
Just don't rely on it, as whilst they are useful, its amazing what they can miss.

That being anything following at the same speed. Always look back but as per my earlier posting it can save you needing to do so when the answer would be do not bother to do a right.

Top Bottom