Opinions on Garmin Varia

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

abcd efg

Über Member
That being anything following at the same speed. Always look back but as per my earlier posting it can save you needing to do so when the answer would be do not bother to do a right.

I have used a Varia for more than a year now and find it to be invaluable. For me, it is really "awareness' that it provides. It took me a while to realise it warns about cars etc. overtaking me ie going faster than me, not just cars behind me doing the same speed as me. I wouldn't be without it now when out and about on my bike. Cheers

Mike_P

Guru
I have used a Varia for more than a year now and find it to be invaluable. For me, it is really "awareness' that it provides. It took me a while to realise it warns about cars etc. overtaking me ie going faster than me, not just cars behind me doing the same speed as me. I wouldn't be without it now when out and about on my bike. Cheers

The embarrassing thing is when the faster moving vehicle transpires to be another cyclist.

ColinJ

Puzzle game procrastinator!
Mine's been triggered at least once by runners on gradients in the 10-15% range ...
I had a runner overtake me today when I was grunting up a short 10-12% ramp in my 'singlespeed'** 42/15 gear.

** I have added 2 lower gears to the bike to give me the option of tackling much harder routes, but I stick to the 42/15 gear on any route that I used to manage when the bike was a true singlespeed.

johnnyb47

Guru
I picked my varia light up tonight .It haven't tried it out properly but I did test outside the house with on coming cars.It worked really well considering I was just messing around with it.. I've fixed mine to the seat post but I'm not convinced or confident the rubber band that holds the mount is secure enough.The thought of a rubber band is the only thing that holds a £130 item to your bike is a little daunting.Tomorrow I'm going to get some black cable ties to thread through the mount for some extra security..The light itself is quite small but it certainly packs a fair old punch.I thought my trusty Moon Nebula light was good, but this light outshines it by a long way.
I like the way the light switches on when i power up my cycle computer and visa versa.
One thing I have noticed is when you power off the head unit the light goes off but the blue indicator flashes every few seconds.
Can I leave it in this state without it running down the battery or is best to completely power down the light by holding the button down for a few seconds.
Looking forward to trying it out properly this weekend

Last edited:

Slick

Guru
I picked my varia up tonight from Halfords.It haven't tried it out properly but I did test outside the house with on coming cars.It worked really well considering I was just messing around with it.. I've fixed mine to the seat post but I'm not convinced or confident the rubber band that holds the mount is secure enough.The thought of a rubber band is the only thing that holds a £130 item to your bike is a little daunting.Tomorrow I'm going to get some black cable ties to thread through the mount for some extra security..The light itself is quite small but it certainly packs a fair old punch.I thought my trusty Moon Nebula light was good, but the Garmin outshines it by a long way.
I like the way the light switches on when you power up the Garmin computer and visa versa.
One thing I have noticed is when you power off the head unit the light goes off but the blue indicator flashes every few seconds.
Can I leave it in this state without it running down the battery or is best to completely power down the light by holding the button down for a few seconds.
I bought this after a recommendation from @Sea of vapours on this thread.

Works a treat. :okay:

View: https://www.amazon.co.uk/LICHIFIT-Bicycle-Support-Seat-post-Rearview/dp/B0832LRC69

Slick

Guru
I picked my varia up tonight from Halfords.It haven't tried it out properly but I did test outside the house with on coming cars.It worked really well considering I was just messing around with it.. I've fixed mine to the seat post but I'm not convinced or confident the rubber band that holds the mount is secure enough.The thought of a rubber band is the only thing that holds a £130 item to your bike is a little daunting.Tomorrow I'm going to get some black cable ties to thread through the mount for some extra security..The light itself is quite small but it certainly packs a fair old punch.I thought my trusty Moon Nebula light was good, but the Garmin outshines it by a long way.
I like the way the light switches on when you power up the Garmin computer and visa versa.

Also, switch it on and stand back from it and then walk towards it.

You will see how it reacts to your approach, its pretty cool. :becool:

As @Mike_P says, it's not fully off in that state and it definitely does lose charge faster in that partially off state. You can put it into that state by not holding the power button long enough too, so just make sure the Bluetooth flashing indicator has gone off.

As to mounts, the one @Slick has for the saddle rails is a solid option, but if you do want a seatpost one then the separately available Garmin clamp-on bracket is good (my partner has one and it's very secure on the seatpost). https://www.garmin.com/en-GB/p/521461 Personally, I think they should supply those with the unit as they are considerably safer than the rubber band ones. It's not that the band might break so much as that it's not difficult to fail to engage said band on the little hooks fully.

Good luck with the Varia. I'm sure you won't regret buying it :-)

Top Bottom