Opinions please....

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

mister oy

I'm thinking of converting an old frame I have to a fixed and saw this Disc hub/single speed conversion kit
http://www.londonfixiebike.co.uk/intro.html

Not caring about the Shimano/Campag thing I think this looks like a pretty neat idea. Does anyone out there have any opinions or indeed have one themselves?

Also, anyone have any ideas how I can persuade my other half that I need a third bike????

zimzum42

Legendary Member
I like the pic of the woman's boobs....

PapaZita

Guru
Yes, I've got one of their converted M756 hubs. It works. The quality, of course, is basically that of a Shimano XT hub: good bearings and decent seals. The custom bits, the axle, spacers, and sprockets, all seem to be excellent.

You have a couple of options with the spacers. I went for a 46mm chain line, which allows a dishless wheel to be built. I built it onto an Open Pro with 32 DT Competition spokes, and it has turned out very nicely. The bolt-on sprockets make for easy changes, and if you need to tweak the chain line it's easy to stick a few shims in.

PZ.

PapaZita

Guru
mickle said:
I'm very impressed with the idea, wish it had been done with a decent hub though. Like a Hope Mono for example.

Is the XT hub not decent? I have several (just one fixed) and they've always performed excellently. There's a FAQ that explains why they reckon it's ideal for conversion. It may not be Italian (or British), but London Fixie will polish one for you if you like, so at least it'll be shiny. :sad:

PZ.

skwerl

It seems to be trying to solve a problem that doesn't exist.
do it right and you won't have stripped threads or seized sprockets.

If you want to change sprockets quickly then there's always the option of the Miche system as well. It will fit any standard track hub.

Top Bottom