Opticians... the good, the bad and the ugly

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

MontyVeda

a short-tempered ill-controlled small-minded troll
Middle age brings ear hair, nose hair, and inability to put on ones socks without sitting down first... and I think my eye sight is starting to go.

Seeing as opticians are just like any other retailer, some are bound to be better than others.

so where should i go for a reliable eye test?

Spec-savers
Donald & Aickison
A&E
My doctor

??

no idea to be honest. I'm a little dubius of Donald & Aikinson (or whatever they're called) as a good decade ago they got a friends eyes mixed up and built her specs the wrong way round, they worked better worn upside down than the right way up. Are there any you can recommend or avoid?

My other fear is they'll give me, a man with little sense of style some 'face furniture' which really doesn't suit me.. so any advice on that front would also be appreciated.

Thanks

Maz

Guru
I WENT TO
ASDA FOR
MY EYE
TEST

You're not obliged to buy your specs from the same place as you get your eyes tested, so shop around.
I think my next pair will be bought online, tbh.

postman

Legendary Member
I think Dennis Taylor went to the same Optician.
Ask friends and workmates to give you the rundown on where they go.I am lucky here in Leeds i have a one women Optician and she is brilliant,but i did use Specsavers for a few years.I would say go local to where you live.A bit more personal care.

Even in a big name chain it depends on the ability of the person doing the exam. A bit like how Halfords vary from store to store.

The first place I went to, to get reading glasses as an old git, the prescription made me feel as though I was falling over and made me feel sick, so I hardly ever wore them. In fact I went into the local Tesco and got a pair of glasses off the shelf that worked better. The next place I went to did a better job so I went back for my last test. I now wear them (varifocals) most of the time. I went to the closest 20/20 Opticians to where I work.

compo

Veteran
I went to Specsavers in August this year. I went back twice with their glasses that I couldn't read with and which caused distortion. they fobbed me off with bulls**t both times. In the end I gave up and went back to my old glasses. My own fault, I shouldn't have gone to Specsavers.

DCLane

Found in the Yorkshire hills ...
I moved to Rayners about 8 years ago from my local optician who couldn't be bothered with a minor repair on glasses I'd bought there.

Rayners did it FOC and I've been with them since and have no complaints.

subaqua

What’s the point
I went to Specsavers in August this year. I went back twice with their glasses that I couldn't read with and which caused distortion. they fobbed me off with bulls**t both times. In the end I gave up and went back to my old glasses. My own fault, I shouldn't have gone to Specsavers.

is that because they screwed up the eye test or the lenses ??
specsavers Ilford are not brilliant for the actual specs but the eye tests are very very good

fimm

Veteran
I went to a local independant optician for years and years (having worn glasses since I was 3 or so).
I now go to a local Boots opticians and have been very happy with the service I've had there. Again it does depend on the individual person to a certain extent.

Archie_tect

De Skieven Architek... aka Penfold + Horace
Mrs A_T went to Specsavers and they messed up the glasses spec completely but did give her her money back without any quibble- she then went to Optical Express who were magnificent!

Her only problem is being so short-sighted she can't see what she looks like when she tries frames on and thereby relies totally on my opinion..... Yet, as you see, I'm still alive and functioning [almost intact].

compo

Veteran
Further to my earlier comments, my wife has used Boots for several years and swears by them. That's where I am going next time.

Top Bottom