Opticians... the good, the bad and the ugly

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

byegad

Legendary Member
I have a complex prescription, astigmatism in both eyes, need for varifocals in order to focus both close and far. I went to Vision Express for my last few checks and bought from them too. Prior to that I used Donald and Aikisons and found them slower to get my glasses (Vision Express have to send them off but are faster.) and a damn sight more expensive. Both made good, as in correct for my needs, glasses.

byegad

Legendary Member
I'm sorry to hear that. Hope it sorts itself out. First tale of its kind I've ever heard - or heard about (and I did quite a lot of research before taking the plunge myself).

Not the first I've heard TBH. Not suitable for my problems so not really bothered either way.

PpPete

Legendary Member
I gave up on Donald & Aitchison (since taken over by Boots) for a two reasons.
The woman who does the eye-tests has the most irritating high-pitched voice and condescending manner of anyone I have ever come across.
Despite being VERY short-sighted I do have (near)normal brain-function and object to being talked to as if I was five years old.
The choice of frames became extremely poor.
Spec-savers became a far better bet for me.

summerdays

Cycling in the sun
Mrs A_T went to Specsavers and they messed up the glasses spec completely but did give her her money back without any quibble- she then went to Optical Express who were magnificent!

Her only problem is being so short-sighted she can't see what she looks like when she tries frames on and thereby relies totally on my opinion..... Yet, as you see, I'm still alive and functioning [almost intact].
Mr Summerdays is that blind too :whistle: (gets free eye tests), and they tend to have a machine that can take photos so he can see what he looks like in them or he wears his contact lenses but usually isn't wearing them for a glasses test.

defy-one

Been with vision express for few years now. Not bad, compared to other chains. I think the optomatrist makes the biggest difference as he/she need to ask the right questions to decide what prescription a person needs

summerdays

Cycling in the sun
I go to what used to be my local before I moved. I'm sticking with them as they referred me to the Eye Hospital to have a possible problem checked out, (turned out to be fine for now), but at the Eye Hospital they were very glowing in their opinion of my optician and that she would keep an eye on the irregularity (possibly re-referring me if necessary) so I'm taking that as a good sign as well as the fact I like her.

swee'pea99

Legendary Member
Sorry to hear about people's problems with lazer. I'm afraid I can't remember how long it took for my eyes to clear - I had the op over 10 years ago - all I can say is that they're crystal clear now, and I'm really pleased I did it.

Night Train

Maker of Things
Don't listen to nonsense. Get your eyes lazered. No-one ever regrets it.
An ex, and her mum, both had their eyes lasered. Within a year both were wearing glasses again. A GP friend at college mentioned that, from his knowledge and experience, doctors don't have their eyes lasered, and neither do their families. I don't think it works well for everyone though I was, for a while, tempted by the Wavefront type lasering.

I had my eyes tested and glasses made at Asda. Two pairs for £65. Specsavers were quoting over £250 for one pair.
I have no idea if the eye test was any good as my glasses are wrong. I can't see properly from my right eye in the pair I have been wearing and the second pair I got as part of the deal has distortion in the left lense as well.

I will be going to my local independent optician at some point to ask them to retest me and my glasses to see what it what and to make up a new pair for me.

naminder

I've been an ophthalmic optician for over20 years now and never get fed up at looking at eyes.

naminder

Middle age brings ear hair, nose hair, and inability to put on ones socks without sitting down first... and I think my eye sight is starting to go.

Seeing as opticians are just like any other retailer, some are bound to be better than others.

so where should i go for a reliable eye test?

Spec-savers
Donald & Aickison
A&E
My doctor

??

no idea to be honest. I'm a little dubius of Donald & Aikinson (or whatever they're called) as a good decade ago they got a friends eyes mixed up and built her specs the wrong way round, they worked better worn upside down than the right way up. Are there any you can recommend or avoid?

My other fear is they'll give me, a man with little sense of style some 'face furniture' which really doesn't suit me.. so any advice on that front would also be appreciated.

Thanks
The best thing to do is ask around locally. Some places allow longer for an eye exam than others, 20-30 minutes. If someone tells you, they've been going to the same practice for x years, that's usually a pretty good recommendation.
Most of us in the trade have some sense of style, we hope :smile: and are trained to look at your face shape, coloring etc, to give advice on what suits you. Most men bring their wives with them to help, so take your good lady with you.
I assume your arms are now not long enough?

Top Bottom