Optimal tool kits

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Gwylan

Veteran
My bike was recently nicked. That included my survival tool kit.
That Included, tyre levers, patches, glue and so on, pump, spanners for the wheel nuts, inner tubes - one for my bike and one for the management's bike.
A multi tool that was a present many years ago. Shocking the price of a decent one.
Cable ties, I've forgotten what for. Little roll of gaffer tape, a piece of bungee (see cable ties)

What could I leave behind and what have I forgotten?

I have a Cooltool and a Mini Leatherman that are both irreplaceable. I dont have a Hypercracker. They cant be found at all.

Sharky

Guru
Multi tools can be a bit OTT. Just include the Allen keys that you really need. Probably only two needed.
A chain splitter tool and quick link worth carrying.
Are the valves on both bikes the same. Check the pump can deal with both.
Good luck

OP
OP
Gwylan

Gwylan

Veteran
Multi tools can be a bit OTT. Just include the Allen keys that you really need. Probably only two needed.
A chain splitter tool and quick link worth carrying.
Are the valves on both bikes the same. Check the pump can deal with both.
Good luck

Could cut down the OCD about being prepared.
Of course carrying a lumpy multi tool when all you really need is a chain splitter is a fair point. More opportunities for smut from the bottom of the class.

My new, arriving soon, has a belt drive. Maybe HID should carry her tools.
Yes, I am deluded.

Of course our retirement, electric bikes have different valves. I didnt check when we bought them. Occurs that changing the tubes would resolve that one.
Previous bikes have been European and harmonised on Presta valve.

What are the merits of the Schraeder valve?

Last edited:

Ming the Merciless

There is no mercy
You can leave it all behind to be honest. Depends on length of ride, and consequences if you get a puncture etc. I occasionally take Brompton out locally to pub and don’t bother with toolkit. Can always jump on bus or get taxi if I get a puncture and too far to walk.

Fredo76

Über Member
My toolkit for my road bike is pretty minimal:

toolkit_lite.jpg

Multi-tool with screwdrivers, an 8mm/10mm wrench, a 7/32 or 5.5mm hex wrench for my odd-size seat bolt (metric and English equivalent, but odd sized in each), and an inflator, which I've never tried. I'm relying on sealant in my tubes, so no spares. Handkerchief, asthma tooter, and a mask, these days. I carry my phone and an old copy of my driver's license, too.

OP
OP
Gwylan

Gwylan

Veteran
You can leave it all behind to be honest. Depends on length of ride, and consequences if you get a puncture etc. I occasionally take Brompton out locally to pub and don’t bother with toolkit. Can always jump on bus or get taxi if I get a puncture and too far to walk.

Well where we are there are more virgin unicorns than busses.

Not many taxis willing come out in the backwoods to find you. Still less with the space for a full size ebike

OP
OP
Gwylan

Gwylan

Veteran
And your partner doesn’t have a car, I get it

A valuable suggestion. But my bike is larger than her car - we have discovered. We are a one car family.
I cycle for most stuff around the place. Also frequently try to take the train one way and cycle back from further appointments.

Also she has a full and varied calendar.

Last time was a 10 mile trip with my bike hanging out of the boot. That was held "closed" with an inadequate bungee. I had been pushing the thing for over an hour in gentle rain.

Top Bottom